Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Pappenheimer Rapier for comment. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20589)

Cerjak 13th October 2015 11:54 AM

Pappenheimer Rapier for comment.

5 Attachment(s)
This Pappenheimer Rapier has a 90cm offset triangular section blade overall 105 cm.Width of the blade 25 mm
also one pierce guard plate is missing.
Any comment on it will be welcome.
Best
Cerjak

Cerjak 13th October 2015 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more pics

CSinTX 13th October 2015 01:43 PM

Would the blade be original with some of the engravings being inside the guard and no ricasso?

Any pictures of the pommel?

Cerjak 13th October 2015 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more pic

ulfberth 13th October 2015 06:20 PM

Hello Cerjak,

Certainly an interesting type of Pappenheimer rapier, with a triangular blade, rare but they did exist.
Could you post some pics of spot were the blade fits into the guard and a close up pic of the pommel?
I have questions about the patina of the pommel vs the rest of the rapier and the way the blade fits into the guard and its position vs the guard plate.

kind regards

Ulfberth

fernando 13th October 2015 10:11 PM

Hi Jean-Luc,
Have you tried to read the words in the inscription ?

Cerjak 14th October 2015 11:11 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
Hi Jean-Luc,
Have you tried to read the words in the inscription ?

Hi Fernando

It was no easy to take some pictures ,
So I can see: First a cross ?
after S-E-B-A- R?-A- N R-O -S-N - ?
Best

Jean-Luc

Cerjak 14th October 2015 11:16 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulfberth
Hello Cerjak,

Certainly an interesting type of Pappenheimer rapier, with a triangular blade, rare but they did exist.
Could you post some pics of spot were the blade fits into the guard and a close up pic of the pommel?
I have questions about the patina of the pommel vs the rest of the rapier and the way the blade fits into the guard and its position vs the guard plate.

kind regards

Ulfberth

Hi Ulfberth

This is some extra pictures from the guard
Best
Cerjak

ulfberth 14th October 2015 03:50 PM

Hello Jean Luc,

The way the blade fits into the guard and its position vs the guard plate or how the rim of the plate fits the blade makes me think this is re-used blade.
I believe the blade is changed in its working life because it has the same overall pitting.
I can't see the surface of the pommel enough, does it have the same pitting?
It is the correct model pommel for this rapier.

Kind regards

Ulfberth

Cerjak 14th October 2015 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulfberth
Hello Jean Luc,

The way the blade fits into the guard and its position vs the guard plate or how the rim of the plate fits the blade makes me think this is re-used blade.
I believe the blade is changed in its working life because it has the same overall pitting.
I can't see the surface of the pommel enough, does it have the same pitting?
It is the correct model pommel for this rapier.

Kind regards

Ulfberth

Hi Urfberth,
Thank you very much for your imput about this rapier.
Yes the pommel has the same pitting ,I aggree your opinion that this sword could have a re-used blade changed in working period as all elements are in the same state of conservation with the same pitting.

Best
Jean-Luc

ulfberth 14th October 2015 05:17 PM

Hi Jean Luc,

you are welcome, Yes this picture of the pommel clearly shows the same patina/pitting and it is exactly the same overall, this is a good sign and proves the rapier is historically correct . :)

kind regards

Ulfberth