Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   17th German iron flintlock pistol (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26523)

Lansquenet59 12th December 2020 04:43 PM

17th German iron flintlock pistol

6 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I have just acquired a rare German flintlock pistol from the 17th century, manufactured between 1643 and 1700 by the Coeter family. It is completely made of iron with the external mechanism. Its length is 43 cm.

fernando 12th December 2020 04:56 PM

Fabulous example :cool: .
If you drop it ... i will pick it ;) .

Raf 12th December 2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lansquenet59
Hi all,

I have just acquired a rare German flintlock pistol from the 17th century, manufactured between 1643 and 1700 by the Coeter family. It is completely made of iron with the external mechanism. Its length is 43 cm.

This is a wonderful thing of breathtaking elegant simplicity.
Do you know the function of the two screws , one visible in front of the cock , the other in front of the flashpan that appear to enter the elongated breech section ?

Lansquenet59 13th December 2020 08:36 AM

Thank you, I know I can count on you Fernando.

All screws hold the external mechanism in place.

If anyone has any idea of ​​the punch? According to the former owner, it is attributed to Jan Coeter located in Grevenbroich near Dusseldorf.
There were also Christian and Peter Coeter in Mannheim, as well as Léonhard in Maastricht.

corrado26 13th December 2020 10:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just for your info. The name of the Grevenbroich gunmaker was not Coeter, but CLOETER :D . I added fotos of a similar pistolwith the two screws in the same position, both fixed the lock.

Lansquenet59 13th December 2020 10:58 AM

Oh yes, you are right "Cloeter". :)

David R 15th December 2020 11:11 AM

What a stunner.

fernando 15th December 2020 11:15 AM

Indeed :cool: .

rickystl 17th December 2020 06:00 PM

Congratulations !! A wonderful, and difficult to locate early pistol.

Rick

Bob A 17th December 2020 11:42 PM

I wonder whether it might get pretty hot to hold? Aside from considerations of weight, wooden furniture has insulating value.

I'm not familiar with operating muzzle-loading firearms, so I don't know how quickly they might heat up on firing. Then there's considerations of slick gripping surface, and also utilisation in winter.

Aside from those truly irrelevant issues, it is a really gorgeous firearm.

fernando 18th December 2020 09:57 AM

These muzzle loaders shoot one only round. The time you take to reload, they will cool down ... right ?
Maybe the difference in weight is not such an issue; considering that wooden stocks are made of solid material and these iron ones are (most probably) hollow .

SchildaBrit 27th January 2021 08:36 PM

Slimline pistol

That is an extraordinary design. The slimmest pistol I have ever seen. The zig-zag top arm of the frizzen spring is a delight to look at!

NeilUK 9th February 2021 04:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Seeing these splendid photos of Lansquenet's superb German all-steel pistol prompts me to offer photos of my variation on the all-steel theme, an early belt snaphaunce from the east coast of Scotland. The buffer for the cock, trigger and belt hook are restorations (and maybe some other elements too) but more interestingly it is left-handed, presumably one pistol of a pair, the other being right-handed. The brass lock plate is decoratively engraved and has a possible maker's mark below the buffer. The circular pan shield is dated 1648 which puts it in the period of the British civil wars, in which Scotland was deeply involved. Although not as pretty as the more famous Doune pistols of the 18th century such early pistols are much rarer. Any comments welcome.
Neil

corrado26 9th February 2021 04:45 PM

Thanks a lot for showing us this wonderful piece of Scottish artwork. I had in the past many of Scottish all metal pistols of famous makers in my collection and my aim has it always been to get some day such a pistol, but until today I have had no chance. My congratulations to this extraordinairy and very rare item.

Lansquenet59 10th February 2021 08:50 AM

Very beautiful indeed! And very interesting to see a date there!

Raf 17th February 2021 12:58 PM

Niel . A wonderfully rare and splendid thing. For the record I wondered if you had any photos of the interior of the lock ?

NeilUK 18th February 2021 12:09 AM

Thanks for your comment, Raf. But no to photos - I have never dared to take the lock off in case I could not fix it back again. I do take off the locks of my wood-stocked pistols but not the all steel ones. Sorry.
Neil

corrado26 18th February 2021 07:22 AM

I think this is a very reasonable decision