Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   18th Century? Sword identification (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19657)

Bryan.H 28th February 2015 04:05 AM

18th Century? Sword identification

2 Attachment(s)
Greetings one and all,

I wondered if anyone can identify this sword? It's a curiosity that puzzles me, because the hilt grip style reminds me of a late 18th century English or Continental Spadroon, yet the blade is more akin to an straight bladed infantry hanger. The brass cross hilt quillons don't look 'military', so my thoughts are tending to think this may be 'hunting' sword composed of parts of military swords, or a heavily modified sword fashioned for theatrical use etc.

Has anyone seen a hilt and blade configuration like this?

Will M 28th February 2015 07:54 PM

At the end of the brass pommel is that a square nut or?

Bryan.H 4th March 2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will M
At the end of the brass pommel is that a square nut or?

Hi, it's a circular nut, or finial with scalloped edges. It's not a modern machine nut etc. I'll see if I can get a good photo of it close up to post.

Thanks for your reply.

Bryan.H 4th March 2015 10:08 AM

Pommel nut

1 Attachment(s)
Pommel nut

Bryan.H 6th March 2015 02:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's something stylistically similar in hilt configuration, (apparently from an Czech source?)

thinreadline 7th March 2015 02:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It has some similarities with the Scottish Officers cross hilt broadsword of the later 19th C ( see Robson pp184 / 185 ) although I do agree the grip is very 18th C .

M ELEY 7th March 2015 09:58 PM

I would guess early to mid-19th as well. Grooved ebony and fluted ivory grips were popular c. 1780-1820's (see naval dirks from the latter period). The hilt pattern is usually more seen on either non-military or dress type swords of the period (band swords, fraternal or officer's dress, Thin Red Line's excellent example of a Scottish claymore with the basket removed and the 'dress hilt' in place, etc. :shrug:

Just a note-With the Scottish dress hilt, that particular sword had a screw nut at the pommel, allowing the basket to be removed and the cruciform hilt to be put in place. Your hilt seems more permanent, with the peened pommel cap. What's throwing me is the blade on yours, which is, as you pointed out, functional. Perhaps the hilt was replaced, again as you suspected.

Question- what is the stamp on the blade? Maybe if we knew more about the maker, country of origin, etc, we might glean more?

Bryan.H 10th March 2015 07:57 AM

Stamp

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by M ELEY
I would guess early to mid-19th as well. Grooved ebony and fluted ivory grips were popular c. 1780-1820's (see naval dirks from the latter period). The hilt pattern is usually more seen on either non-military or dress type swords of the period (band swords, fraternal or officer's dress, Thin Red Line's excellent example of a Scottish claymore with the basket removed and the 'dress hilt' in place, etc. :shrug:

Just a note-With the Scottish dress hilt, that particular sword had a screw nut at the pommel, allowing the basket to be removed and the cruciform hilt to be put in place. Your hilt seems more permanent, with the peened pommel cap. What's throwing me is the blade on yours, which is, as you pointed out, functional. Perhaps the hilt was replaced, again as you suspected.

Question- what is the stamp on the blade? Maybe if we knew more about the maker, country of origin, etc, we might glean more?

Here's a better close-up of the marking.