Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nice Yataghan with 20th century graffiti (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17435)

drac2k 16th July 2013 09:55 PM

Nice Yataghan with 20th century graffiti

12 Attachment(s)
As a collector, we seem to have "runs," on a certain type of item, that all of a sudden,things that we haven't seen for a while, appear in batches! I have been finding inscribed blades;this has been great except in this case;someone messed up a very nice yataghan by lightly etching on the blade the following "This sword together with 6 chairs was stolen from the palace in Siam in 1866.They were in a private museum in England until 1936.Purchased by R.H. Sturdivant 1938 Richmond Va.." I could have forgiven him if he had painted it on the blade.The story makes no sense to me because even though there was a strong British presence in Siam/Thailand in 1866, it was never occupied by a European power; if it was a dha, I could almost believe it, but not a yataghan!
This person not only defaced this sword, but probably got a very interesting story wrong.
I have a person, who thinks he can polish the inscription out without damaging the sword, so unless someone in the forum can tell me why I shouldn't, that will be my course of action.
I thank all who read this for your patience, indulging me on my rant !

laEspadaAncha 17th July 2013 04:03 AM

Provided you are able to have it done without altering the blade geometry, then by all means, for the love of history and art, please uninscribe it. ;)

What compels some people to permanently alter an otherwise rich history with their personal annotations is beyond me. :shrug:

Maybe for whatever reason, the guy hadn't heard of "pencils," or "pens." And he obviously had never heard of a yataghan!

drac2k 17th July 2013 04:54 AM

My source said that this man was a huge collector and the family is just getting around to releasing some of his things;I shudder with a combination of anticipation and dread !

A.alnakkas 17th July 2013 05:53 AM

Polish it!!! :D

David 17th July 2013 02:58 PM

Well, this would be great item as is for the Stupidity Museum! Yes, by all means, polish it out if you can.

laEspadaAncha 17th July 2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Well, this would be great item as is for the Stupidity Museum! Yes, by all means, polish it out if you can.

I wish there was such a place. I could seek a write-off for donating my tanto that some prior owner resharpened with a grinder bit.

drac2k 17th July 2013 05:07 PM

I've seen a few of those too;it is a shame how so many people think they are making something better by putting an item on a grinder,a file, an electric knife sharpener, 20 grit sandpaper....................
On a sadder note, this item had etched on it "NO. 155;" I hope there aren't 154 more examples such as this one !!!