Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Go on... show us your Barung!!! (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14937)

Spunjer 21st January 2012 07:49 PM

Go on... show us your Barung!!!

1 Attachment(s)
i thought Andy Stevens thread regarding choora was most excellent, so i decided to create this one, in honor of the Barung. it would be fun to see the different barungs from everyone's collection. as we know, the variance between barungs are subtle, compared to the kris, but each one is individually unique and an art to its own. so here's a few from last year's family picture. the gasahs were added as props...
A) warrior's barung, with an unusual, fully intact carabao's horn ferrule
B) shandigan blade, with bold pile lamination pattern
C) from the Sama people, with a zulfikar engraved close to the handle
D) my first junggayan pommeled barung
E) kamagong with ivory inlays datu barung
F) big, chunky ivory hilted with gold ferrule barung
G) most excellent carved junggayan hilt with naga inlays on the blade
H) a junggayan handle barung, very chunky in design with shorter than usual ferrule compensated with a longer than average blade
I) chased ferruled barung with double edged blade
J) my very first barung, just an every day variation
K) an older piece, with a chopmark stamp on the blade
L) a real thick shandigan blade, with an unusual handle design

A.alnakkas 21st January 2012 08:16 PM

Wow very beautiful mate! Too bad I have non to share :-)

Battara 21st January 2012 10:19 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Ah what the heck! I don't have as many but I have 3:

top: fossil mastodon pommel and silver sleeve

middle: ivory pommel with silver sleeve and swassa ferrule

bottom: wood with ivory inlay pommel, silver braided and chased, brass sleeve

Stan S. 22nd January 2012 12:06 AM

Wow! Just wow!

paolo 22nd January 2012 11:53 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I have only two. The first is Sulu, the second one was brought at the battle of Bud Dajo.
Paolo

ariel 22nd January 2012 02:28 PM

I always thought that handles with the carved box-like "beak" of the kakatua pommel appeared in the 1930s. At least, that's what I read here from the Moro gurus. If so, the inscription dated 1907 might be a little suspect. Am I totally wrong?

Spunjer 22nd January 2012 03:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
jose, always loved your ivory pieces! rare indeed, that fossilized handle you have! when i grow up, i'd love to own one like that!!!
@paolo two excellent pieces you have! the silver covered handle is incredible!
@ariel, regarding the appendage: that's what cato proposed, among other things, but more and more, there are plenty that have the same appendages with strong provenance dating back at the turn of the century.
added couple pictures. the barung below was brought back around 1900-1901 by Webb Hayes (the tip broke off, but you could still see it). on the second pic, please note the two gentlemen at the back, second and third from the right (or is it left, lol). second seated from the left is Datu Unga, Tausug warrior extraordinaire. hard to see, but i can assure you his barung has the same appendage. picure was taken early 1900's.
what concerns me more about paolo's other barung is the date given. 1st battle of Bud Dajo was March 5-8, 1906, while the second one was in 1911. on the first battle, i could see someone getting confused with the days, but how can anyone forget the year? :shrug:

VVV 22nd January 2012 03:04 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Here are my favorites.

Michael

Spunjer 22nd January 2012 03:30 PM

Yowza! on the first one, have you ever thought about re-seating the blade? love the simple, yet elegant lines on that bottom piece! i've never seen that big, chunky ivory handled one! thanks for sharing

Sajen 22nd January 2012 03:47 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Hello,

by all this beautiful examples I am almost a little bit shamed to show my two simple barung. The smaller one with not original sheat (is it matching?). Both are Samal in my humble opinion.

Regards,

Detlef

David 22nd January 2012 05:46 PM

OK, you guys are all giving me Barung envy. It's the one type of blade that i truly want, but have yet to find the right example for me. Some real unusual examples here. Just beautiful.... :)

Spunjer 22nd January 2012 05:58 PM

sajen, nothing wrong with your examples! thanks for posting them. i wish everyone would post their barungs, even the WW2 ones, not just the blingy ones!!!

Sajen 22nd January 2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunjer
sajen, nothing wrong with your examples! thanks for posting them. i wish everyone would post their barungs, even the WW2 ones, not just the blingy ones!!!

Thank you for your kind words! :)
Do you think that the sheath is matching with the barung from style?

Regards,

Detlef

Rick 22nd January 2012 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nt ....

Spunjer 23rd January 2012 01:41 AM

i can't tell you either way, sajen... if you refer back to the picture of the datus above, you will notice that the one standing on the far left appears to have a similar type handle like the one that you have. he's most likely Tausug..
rick, the smaller one: is it the one with with buckshots (or something like that) stuffed in the ferrule??? thanks for posting..

KuKulzA28 23rd January 2012 01:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

even none blingy ones welcome eh? Well, here goes. :shrug:

migueldiaz 23rd January 2012 02:33 AM

4 Attachment(s)
here's most of my barungs in my humble collection ...

kino 23rd January 2012 02:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
An excellent gathering guys. Love those silver hilted examples.
Here are some of mine.

Nathaniel 23rd January 2012 04:13 AM

Fantastic Post, Beautiful blades!

Royston 23rd January 2012 09:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Three simple ones. Old photos, they are much cleaner now.

Roy

Loedjoe 23rd January 2012 02:11 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more. (Sajen - 'simple' barung are just as beautiful)

Sajen 23rd January 2012 03:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OMG, so beautiful examples, thank you all for sharing. Loedjoe thank you for your kind words! :)

Here pictures from the lamination of my bigger barong.

Spunjer 24th January 2012 01:32 AM

wow, excellent barungs! loedjoe, welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your pieces. you should post more often ;)
sajen, that's one heck of a lamination you got!!!

please keep it coming, guys!!!

Ferguson 25th January 2012 01:08 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I only have one nice one.
Steve

Spunjer 26th January 2012 12:37 AM

thanks, ferguson! that's a beautiful junggayan. my question is: does the peg on the repaired part goes all the way? first time i've seen it repaired like that...

Ferguson 26th January 2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

thanks, ferguson! that's a beautiful junggayan. my question is: does the peg on the repaired part goes all the way? first time i've seen it repaired like that...

No, I think it just repairs a bad spot in the wood. Not sure how deep it is.
Thanks,
Steve

trenchwarfare 27th January 2012 02:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Awesome blades guys. Does this one count? :p Only "Barung", I have. Could have been done by a native, or GI. Or could've been done by a Japanese. They were on some of the islands for so long, some of them, "Went native".

Rick 27th January 2012 03:15 AM

Nice temper line .

ThePepperSkull 27th January 2012 04:24 AM

Very nice, trenchwarfare! I love cross-cultural pieces. They're always very inventive.

Maurice 27th January 2012 07:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Ron, for years ago I had a pira with a similar peg like ferguson's barungpommel.
That peg went all the way.

Maurice