Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   sword with flintlock pistol (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25574)

corrado26 21st January 2020 01:57 PM

sword with flintlock pistol

9 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine owns this special sword with a SAHAGUM blade and a flintlock pistol. The blade might IMHO be much older than the pistol and so comments are invited.
corrado26

Lansquenet59 21st January 2020 03:13 PM

It's a really interesting piece. (two in one). Early 18th probably? For a wealthy owner!
But maybe not so practical for combat ...A prestigious weapon.

Fernando K 21st January 2020 09:17 PM

Hi

I can only mark two anomalies. The frizzen spring screw is knurled: this makes no sense. In addition, the front face of the frizzen had, in the box-locks, a recess in which the fold of the spring was inserted, for its support. The decoration of the guard seems very modern. It is my humble opinion.

Affectionately

corrado26 22nd January 2020 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fernando K
Hi

The frizzen spring screw is knurled: this makes no sense.

What does "knurled" mean? I cannot find it in my dictionary. Also interesting is how the upper lip is fastened to the cock, very strange.

Henk 22nd January 2020 09:38 AM

Google for knurled screw. That explains everything.

Fernando K 22nd January 2020 11:33 AM

Hi

The method of fastening the upper jaw of the cock is to take up little space, so that the cock in its forward stroke can penetrate the guard. The same for the traction end, which goes back instead of going up, to be able to pass the guard. The same for the losing screw, which in any case, should occupy little place and has its square end to screw it

Sorry for the translator. English is not my language.

Affectionately

fernando 22nd January 2020 12:01 PM

A decoratipon piece ... most certainly.

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by corrado26
What does "knurled" mean? I cannot find it in my dictionary...

Fernando means that it is strange that the upper jaw terminates in an 'wavy long shape', which is not functional.
Also to bear in mind that the Sahaguns were extremely famous and therefore had their name assaulted by many other smiths. For a start the correct spell appears to be SAHAGUN , as per Palomares nomina and, more importantly, per Jehan Lhermitte, in his work Le Passetemps, written by the 1600's. Also the Sahagun mark should be found on the blade (fullers), if this were te real thing.

.-

Fernando K 22nd January 2020 02:00 PM

Hi

The name is not SAHAGUN, with final N and not with M?

corrado26 22nd January 2020 04:06 PM

After my knowledge the correct spelling of the name of Luis Sahagun is SAHAGUN an not SAHAGUM. But it is known that during the times of the barock many imitations and falsifikations of swords or rapiers appeared on the market with the names of well known, famous but already passed away masters as Antonio Piccinino or Andrea Ferrara as well as the mostly wrongly spelled name of Luis Sahagun. So at least the blade of the discussed sword with the spelling SAHAGOM should be regarded under this aspect.
corrado26

fernando 22nd January 2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fernando K
Hi

The name is not SAHAGUN, with final N and not with M?

Yes Fernando; as stated im my post #7 ;).

fernando 22nd January 2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corrado26
After my knowledge the correct spelling of the name of Luis Sahagun is SAHAGUN an not SAHAGUM. But it is known that during the times of the barock many imitations and falsifikations of swords or rapiers appeared on the market with the names of well known, famous but already passed away masters as Antonio Piccinino or Andrea Ferrara as well as the mostly wrongly spelled name of Luis Sahagun. So at least the blade of the discussed sword with the spelling SAHAGOM should be regarded under this aspect.
corrado26

Yes Udo; maybe the text of my post $7 was not well put.
Remember the Sahaguns were a whole family of blade smiths, father and three sons, Alonso (named like his father), Luiz and Juan, also nicknamed Sahaguncillo; all of them, with their father's mark, as per own right.
By the way, the spelling in the discussed sword blade is not SAHAGOM but SAHAGVM, the letter V by then equivalent to U, as per old Latin.