Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   very rare african knife (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24065)

weapons 27 29th June 2018 08:48 AM

very rare african knife

8 Attachment(s)
it is a very rare African knife .. can be the one pictured on the tribal book arms monographs .. it would be the only or second knife known to date..
is lia. mpama. sengele. ntomba.

Tim Simmons 1st July 2018 04:14 PM

I had one with plain wood handle and with a smaller pointy blade. I would say it is a uncommon variant of a common weapon form.

weapons 27 1st July 2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
I had one with plain wood handle and with a smaller pointy blade. I would say it is a uncommon variant of a common weapon form.

hi tim
Look at tribal arms monographs as an attachment, it's really a very rare weapon!

Sajen 1st July 2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
I would say it is a uncommon variant of a common weapon form.

I would agree with Tim. Without doubt it's a very nice weapon. In "panga na visu" are similar knives are described as Togbo, Dakpa, Mbugbu, Yakpa, Nsakara, Wada, Ngapu, Yangere, Langbase and Vidri status knives called "magia".

Regards,
Detlef

kronckew 2nd July 2018 09:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My azande mambeli, (Bought from thinredline) top, others posted here in the forum below...

These sickle swords are common in small to large versions...

Yours appears to be a nicely made variant...

weapons 27 2nd July 2018 12:19 PM

it is certainly a variant!
but this is the only or second model known to date

Jim McDougall 3rd July 2018 04:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
While I cannot comment on the rarity of this example of the weapons termed 'throwing knives' in Central to East African regions, it is a very attractive one. It seems that while there are certain features in the shapes and blade configurations in many, it would be hard to assess rarity as there seems a range of variation in the many basic forms so it would be hard to say how many examples might exist that are alike or similar.

It seems to me to have some features in character with Azande to Mangbetu forms along with the use of copper and the curious hole in the blade (the Mangbetu trombash usually has two or three holes, in attached image).
These are I believe filled with copper plugs and these are indicative of a persons status or prowess as a warrior from what I have read on the Mangbetu.

The 'Tribal Arms' monographs really are excellent resources on these esoteric weapons, and I wish I had my copies at hand. As I recall though, most of these 'knives' post 1920s are primarily ceremonial as status symbols, and as processional weapons.

Though just adding these thoughts to possible identifications, it seemed worthy of note to mention the hole as related to those in the trombash forms of adjacent tribes such as the Mangbetu.

Luc LEFEBVRE 14th July 2018 08:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
2 Sengele knives with the same kind of handle.

colin henshaw 14th July 2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc LEFEBVRE
2 Sengele knives with the same kind of handle.

Superb !