Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Closed Burgonet, help identify, please :) (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27831)

SimonM77 24th April 2022 10:09 AM

Closed Burgonet, help identify, please :)

5 Attachment(s)
Hi there,

I am considering this Closed Burgonet, probably Flemish/French, probably first half of 17th century?

The "skull" is from one piece.

Does anyone have any info about those? I am by no means an expert on the subject.

- Simon :)

Raf 24th April 2022 10:57 AM

These are currently being manufactured in Roorkee India.

SimonM77 24th April 2022 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raf (Post 271407)
These are currently being manufactured in Roorkee India.

Do you have a source to compare?

SimonM77 24th April 2022 11:00 AM

Lewis & Grant has one for sale that looks a lot like it?

Raf 24th April 2022 01:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=SimonM77;271409]Lewis & Grant has one for sale that looks a lot like it?

Yes , Im afraid that's the problem. Here is another one. The ingenious craftsmen of Roorkee have recently started making copies of both replicas and fakes manufactured in Eastern Europe. Image 2 is a replica made in India. Image 3 is an Eastern European fake . The last one is one is made in India. Impossible to say whether the image is of the copy or the original.

SimonM77 24th April 2022 02:34 PM

This is what I get for once of them:

Made in India.

Here is a review:

"Not great quality, sharp edges, rivet broke holding one of the leather straps requiring me to have to weld it to fix it, there’s nothing to hold the shoulder pauldrons on, so had to modify a belt to use for that purpose. Looks ok, but as previously stated my others, it is literally shoe laces that are used, and the colour is different to those shown in the pictures. It’s not terrible for the price, but expected certain things to be better even for this price."

fernando 24th April 2022 04:28 PM

Gentlemen, you know the rules; no links to active sales allowed ... whether fakes or genuine items.

SimonM77 25th April 2022 07:39 AM

Apologies - was for illustrative purposes only.

Lansquenet59 25th April 2022 11:23 AM

I have already seen this model several times on the market too.
It's actually a nice copy.
It is probably inspired by an original model which is perhaps unique.
But when you see 1,2,3,4... identical, you have to ask yourself the question...

Villerica 4th May 2022 09:42 AM

I have one of these helmets. There are many in circulation. I always thought they were made in England not in India. I bought mine as a reproduction of course from a guy in England who sent me a CD with all the different types of helmets they made including many fake picklehaubes. A lot of the models were English civil war styles.
Some are quite good decorative objects. I think that this one is not based on an original as I have never seen a form quite like this one. I don't think that you could see very well wearing this helmet !

Raf 4th May 2022 12:48 PM

I made an error in this post that I should have corrected. The images posted were from Indian sites but it turns out the images are all lifted from makers of 'museum quality' replica armour located in Poland. What you see is in all probability not what you get.