Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help with Identification-Naval Axe? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29580)

mgolab 21st January 2024 02:58 PM

Help with Identification-Naval Axe?

4 Attachment(s)
Hello:

I recently acquired this all iron, hand forged hatchet/axe. The head is 8 inches and overall length is 18 inches. It weighs 3 pounds. It came from upstate New York, Rochester/Lake Ontario region.

Too heavy for a spike tomahawk (although common in that region) and I'm pretty sure this pre-dates crate axes. It also has a chisel/spike end and not a hammer end typically seen on crate axes. I am wonder whether a naval tool/axe given Lake Ontario's naval engagement history in War of 1812.

Any comments would be appreciated.

wildwolberine 21st January 2024 03:41 PM

Interesting old tool! I wonder if it might be a vintage ice harvesting axe? Not the ice axe for mountaineering but for cutting ice from frozen lakes for sale?

mgolab 21st January 2024 03:52 PM

I've seen a lot of old ice harvesting hatchets. Not likely. blade profile is different along with chisel spike end.

Bob A 21st January 2024 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwolberine (Post 288045)
Interesting old tool! I wonder if it might be a vintage ice harvesting axe? Not the ice axe for mountaineering but for cutting ice from frozen lakes for sale?

From the wilds of Lake Ontario: I came, Ice Saw, I conquered!

wildwolberine 21st January 2024 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob A (Post 288048)
From the wilds of Lake Ontario: I came, Ice Saw, I conquered!

Nice!

cel7 21st January 2024 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgolab (Post 288043)
Hello:

I recently acquired this all iron, hand forged hatchet/axe. The head is 8 inches and overall length is 18 inches. It weighs 3 pounds. It came from upstate New York, Rochester/Lake Ontario region.

Too heavy for a spike tomahawk (although common in that region) and I'm pretty sure this pre-dates crate axes. It also has a chisel/spike end and not a hammer end typically seen on crate axes. I am wonder whether a naval tool/axe given Lake Ontario's naval engagement history in War of 1812.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Definitely a tool. Perhaps a roofing hammer or something that was used in the mines.

mgolab 21st January 2024 09:55 PM

Thank You. Does not resemble a roofing hammer. Thus, no hammer end and no nail pull.

Piece appears to be 18th century to me. Also, not aware of any mining in Rochester NY.

Interested Party 22nd January 2024 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It minds me of a mill pick but not quite the right shape. Their ax and adze are a little more wedge shaped in profile and shorter I believe. It is hard to get a sense of proportion, size, and overall shape from these pictures. The prybar handle is a later addition? Interesting in that it seems made for a very specific purpose. In its current configuration it would be good for pulling specimens out of mines. If I owned it that would be its purpose. Though I wouldn't want to swing it too much with that metal handle it makes my elbow hurt just looking at it.

Bob A I believe that is a hay knife, maybe it saw double duty. Here is a picture from the Antique Ice Tool Museum.

This seems like a Miscellaneous tool.

Ian 23rd January 2024 10:58 AM

mgolab: Your hammer head has the general profile of a slater's hammer, but the all metal handle may be ill suited for that purpose--seems too heavy to wield for a day.

Bob: I'm pretty sure your tool is a hay knife and would not cut ice all that well. The one's shown by IP are what I saw used in Minnesota by the old timers. Nowadays ice augers and chain saws seem to have replaced a lot of the hand ice saws, at least for ice fishing and ice sculptures.

mgolab 23rd January 2024 01:44 PM

Thanks Ian, but I'd have to disagree with you on that. Where is the hammer? It is a blade profile with a spike/chisel end. Hand forged. Someone else suggested that the head and haft were married at a later date, which makes sense looking at the eye profile.

David 23rd January 2024 04:28 PM

Seems like an interesting tool that should be moved to the Miscellaneous Forum.

Ian 24th January 2024 05:36 AM

Agree Gavin. Over it goes for further discussion.