Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Italian ammunition belt 17th (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26762)

eftihis 4th March 2021 06:28 AM

Italian ammunition belt 17th

12 Attachment(s)
This is an Italian ammunition belt for a machlock circa 1600. What are these small wallets for? Any ther comments?

corrado26 4th March 2021 07:50 AM

I think that each of this mall tanks contained the load of powder for one shot for a matchlock or a wheellock gun, certainly not for military but for chasing purpose

midelburgo 4th March 2021 06:40 PM

Iron and tinder. And cord.

Will M 4th March 2021 08:01 PM

Amazing this belt still exists and with the holders too!
Rarely see any of these.

fernando 4th March 2021 08:12 PM

Sure thing, Will.

eftihis 4th March 2021 09:47 PM

I Think this is a military item. A hunter would just have a powder flask to put the black powder in the gun, not "ready to use" gunpowder holders.

David R 5th March 2021 01:52 PM

A bit atypical for Europe. Is there any provenance to confirm the origin?

eftihis 5th March 2021 05:01 PM

Ι bought it from Italy!

David R 6th March 2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eftihis
Ι bought it from Italy!

Personally, I think it's from somewhat further east, and is nonetheless a very fine thing to have in a collection.

Raf 6th March 2021 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David R
Personally, I think it's from somewhat further east, and is nonetheless a very fine thing to have in a collection.

i agree. The clue may be a number of quite modern looking extemporary repairs which imply it was in active use until fairly recently . Makes me think Tibet ? Here is a Chinese gentleman . Same general idea .

eftihis 6th March 2021 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
By searching on the net i found a similar set, sold some years ago from Italy with the following description: A Musketeer's bandoleer dating: 17th Century provenance: Europe Leather belt with brass buckle; provided with a leather purse and eleven wooden flasks for powder doses, held together with leather straps. Small defects and damages. dimensions: length circa 97 cm.

fernando 6th March 2021 09:16 PM

Great find :cool: -

Raf 7th March 2021 10:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Could that be a Chinese communist party buckle ?

Raf 7th March 2021 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This image Described as 18 C Europe . Buckle later

David R 7th March 2021 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stuff travels, loses its history and dealers will tell the story that sells for the best price, and when I see a modern buckle on something it tells me that it was still in use when the buckle was put on!
I really like the ammo belt and it's certainly collectable.... but you don't want to be paying a 17thC Italian price for a more recent Eastern or African item. I suggest putting it on the Ethnic forum and seeing what they say. I suspect a country with Italian colonial connections if we have two turning up in Italy.
Below a provenanced 17C European bandoleer..

eftihis 7th March 2021 02:07 PM

Good idea, i will put it there! Thanks for your input.