Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I'd Like to Learn More About This Visayan Sword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26103)

CharlesS 16th July 2020 03:54 PM

I'd Like to Learn More About This Visayan Sword

7 Attachment(s)
Here is what I assume to be a Visayan sword. It has a typical Visayan convex/flat blade and a lovely carved scabbard with a leather mouth cover in the Visayan style. The hilt, to my eye, is way "over the top" in its monster motif and I am not familiar with it.

I'd appreciate any input and info on it.

Dimensions:

Overall length: 28.25in.
Blade length: 20in.
Blade's widest point: 20in.

David 16th July 2020 07:18 PM

6 Attachment(s)
It reminds me quite a bit of this WWII era tengere i own that also has an unusual "monster" motif hilt and clip point like yours. Mine was obviously a commemorative piece marking the victory over the Japanese at the end of the war. The blade is a super serious laminated one though and razor sharp.

Overall length: 24.25 in.
Blade length: 19 in.
Blade's widest point: 2 in.
Blade's widest thickness: .25 in.

CharlesS 16th July 2020 09:04 PM

I certainly see the resemblance, David. Thanks for the pics.

Battara 17th July 2020 12:11 AM

I have seen a number of these in the past few years. Seems the hilts are more recent carvings.

David 17th July 2020 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
I have seen a number of these in the past few years. Seems the hilts are more recent carvings.

José, i'm pretty sure my example is all original and commemorates victory at the end of the second world war. So that's 75 years ago if that's what you mean by "more recent carvings". :shrug:

Bangkaya 17th July 2020 05:30 PM

Greetings,
The OP's sword appears to be from the Kinaray-a speaking people of South/Southwest Panay Island. The scabbard is typical of Ilonggo swords of Iloilo with the leather covered throat and metal fastening bands. However, the blade itself is more Antikenyo with the slender bakutong clipped profile. The hilt is carved in the Bakunawa motif typically found in Sibalom, Antique. Overall, a nice, typical example from that region. The Antikenyos would call this a talibong, but the Ilonggos will maybe refer to this as a tenegre, because of the fighting nature of this sword.

As for David's sword, it appears to be from Panay in the same general region as the OP's, but further North/Northwest closer to Cabatuan, Iloilo. Scabbards there, again, are in the Ilonggo fashion with leather throats and metal fastening bands, however, more slender example, such as David's, will taper to a point or finial following the blade profile. Most typical tenegre or binangon (field bolo) scabbards from Iloilo the toe of the scabbard will be squared off. In Cabatuan and Mandurrio, the toes will taper if the blade is slender. The hilt on David's tenegre is again the Bakunawa motif typical of that region. There are several variations of the Bakunawa design in Panay depending on region. David's is typical from that region, similar motif but different design than the OP's. Again, a fine all original example from mid 20th C. I hope this helps!

Cheers!

Sajen 18th July 2020 07:57 AM

Hello Bangkaya,

Glad to see you posting again! :) :cool:

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 18th July 2020 08:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here one from my own collection with an unusual Bakunawa handle and from the same time frame as the both other shown examples.
Sorry for the picture quality, they are still from the auction.

Battara 19th July 2020 01:42 AM

David, yes I consider WWII more recent, though I guess I should be more precise.

Welcome back and mabuhay! Would you say that the pommel carvings are WWII or later?