Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   help with farsi translation (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26071)

psingh123 9th July 2020 11:52 AM

help with farsi translation

Hi,
Was looking for help to decipher an inscription on a pesh kabz. I believe it is farsi - so if anyone could help, it would be much appreciated! If you can help, let me know and I will send over images directly

Ian 9th July 2020 01:54 PM

Moderator's comment ...

psingh:

Please post your pictures here as attachments. Requests for translations require a picture also of the entire item as well as the inscription--please see the sticky thread at the top of the Ethnographic Forum page.

Ian.

psingh123 10th July 2020 02:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here are some images. its on the hilt of a 18th century (possibly earlier) pesh kabz.

kwiatek 14th July 2020 08:33 AM

These verses are in Ottoman Turkish, I have seen them on one other piece but I cannot remember where! Here they are copied with mistakes. They compare the dagger’s blade to the shining crescent moon:

“Your dagger is the crescent moon in the sky of the world of compassion,
Your dagger is hidden in the blade’s dark-blue clothing.”

kwiatek 14th July 2020 08:35 AM

The last post saved multiple times for some reason

psingh123 14th July 2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwiatek
These verses are in Ottoman Turkish, I have seen them on one other piece but I cannot remember where! Here they are copied with mistakes. They compare the dagger’s blade to the shining crescent moon:

“Your dagger is the crescent moon in the sky of the world of compassion,
Your dagger is hidden in the blade’s dark-blue clothing.”

could you break it down for me please? e.g. what is written in the first image, second, third? just so i know which is which.

Also, does the reference to 'dark blue clothing' mean anything in particular?

psingh123 14th July 2020 09:47 AM

also, is the inscription from the Quran or in some form related to it/ or the teachings of Islam? it would be interesting to know the direct meaning of this inscription - especially if you have seen it on another one before!

mariusgmioc 14th July 2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psingh123
Hi,
Was looking for help to decipher an inscription on a pesh kabz. I believe it is farsi - so if anyone could help, it would be much appreciated! If you can help, let me know and I will send over images directly

Please show us the whole knife!

psingh123 14th July 2020 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
do you happen to know what the inscription might be trying to tell us? is it a verse from the quran or part of islamic ideology? here is a full image...(Reference to items for sale are not permitted in the Discussion Forums--please read the Rules at the top of the Forum Page).