Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Does anyone know this language? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23909)

Kurt 9th May 2018 09:21 AM

Does anyone know this language?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi ,

I searched in vain for a translator for this inscription.
Hope to help the many members of this forum.

Kurt

Kurt 9th May 2018 09:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
Hi ,

I searched in vain for a translator for this inscription.
Hope to help the many members of this forum.

Kurt

Sorry forgot the picture of Kilic!

Ren Ren 9th May 2018 12:44 PM

This inscription in Serbian

Kurt 9th May 2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Sorry forgot the picture of Kilic!

Thank you !
Can you read it ?

Kurt 9th May 2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ren Ren
This inscription in Serbian

Thank you !
Can you read it ?

kronckew 9th May 2018 06:15 PM

'Google translate' does Serbian to English (or German) if you can make out the letters.

TVV 9th May 2018 06:57 PM

The first parts states "this sabre belonged to the Voevoda..." and then lists the name of the Voevoda, which I cannot quite make out, plus I am not familiar with the Serbian/Montenegrin voevodas.

Teodor

ALEX 9th May 2018 07:33 PM

"Voevoda" means warrior, usually of higher rank such as commander. Literally, the one who leads in the war.

David R 9th May 2018 09:44 PM

Very nice piece. Perhaps more of a Shamshir than a Kilij, but who cares, collector-speak only!

kronckew 9th May 2018 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALEX
"Voevoda" means warrior, usually of higher rank such as commander. Literally, the one who leads in the war.

very similar word in other eastern European languages.

One of the more well-known ones was the Voivode Vlad Tepes, Prince of Wallachia, the Drakul, who didn't care much for his Turkish neighbours & gently persuaded some of them to leave his lands when they tried to arrive uninvited at the scene of one of his dinner parties. They apologised and left since he asked them so nicely.

Kurt 10th May 2018 09:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TVV
The first parts states "this sabre belonged to the Voevoda..." and then lists the name of the Voevoda, which I cannot quite make out, plus I am not familiar with the Serbian/Montenegrin voevodas.

Teodor

Thanks Teodor ,

that helps so is the title"Woiwode"(It is a Slavic ruler title.)
it is an extraordinary Kilic see pictures..
Kurt

Ren Ren 10th May 2018 10:04 AM

"Ова с сабля била войводе Т. Вучића Перишића покланя Ђ. Колароз"
"This saber was presented by the voivode T. Vučić Perišić J. Colaroz"

But I can make a little mistake :shrug:

Victrix 10th May 2018 10:30 AM

Nice sword! Interesting to see the wrist cord as well. I note the little loops on the front quillon and the pommel where probably a little chain was secured. Is the grip made from horn?

Kurt 10th May 2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

"Ова с сабля била войводе Т. Вучића Перишића покланя Ђ. Колароз"
"This saber was presented by the voivode T. Vučić Perišić J. Colaroz"

But I can make a little mistake :shrug:

Thanks, that's great.
Have been trying for 6 years to bring this out.
Kurt

Kurt 10th May 2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victrix
Nice sword! Interesting to see the wrist cord as well. I note the little loops on the front quillon and the pommel where probably a little chain was secured. Is the grip made from horn?

It is rhino.

Ren Ren 10th May 2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks, that's great.
Kurt

It's my pleasure :)

Toma Vučić Perišić (1787 or 1788 - 1859) is a famous statesman of Serbia, a participant in two uprisings against the Ottoman Empire. https://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A2...88%D0%B8%D1%9B

Kurt 10th May 2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Toma Vučić Perišić (1787 or 1788 - 1859) is a famous statesman of Serbia, a participant in two uprisings against the Ottoman Empire. https://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A2...88%D0%B8%D1%9B

So the then owner of my Kilic was an important man at the time.

Is good to know !
Thanks
Kurt

Victrix 10th May 2018 03:03 PM

What about the Arabic writing and the mark? Is it a captured Ottoman blade? The decorations on the cross guard and scabbard look European (good quality as well).

fernando 10th May 2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks, that's great.
Kurt

Extraordinary work indeed, Ren Ren.

Victrix 11th May 2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Found this is the English language on the Belgrade City Museum web page:

”Toma Vučić Perišić (1788–1859) was a participant of the First and Second Serbian Uprisings and a prominent figure of the government established by the Defenders of the Constitution (Ustavobranitelji). He was initially a collaborator of Miloš Obrenović, to become one of his most severe opponents. Vučić Perišić played a role in Miloš's abdication and the expulsion from the country of Prince Mihailo and the Obrenović family in 1842.

The portrait dates from the period when Toma Vučić Perišić was one of the most powerful people in Serbia. He is shown in ceremonial and lavish Oriental outfit reflecting his high position of a statesman. Sticking to tradition, he kept on wearing Oriental dress, even though the majority of the bourgeois elite in Serbia adopted European dress styles.”

Kurt 11th May 2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victrix
Found this is the English language on the Belgrade City Museum web page:

”Toma Vučić Perišić (1788–1859) was a participant of the First and Second Serbian Uprisings and a prominent figure of the government established by the Defenders of the Constitution (Ustavobranitelji). He was initially a collaborator of Miloš Obrenović, to become one of his most severe opponents. Vučić Perišić played a role in Miloš's abdication and the expulsion from the country of Prince Mihailo and the Obrenović family in 1842.

The portrait dates from the period when Toma Vučić Perišić was one of the most powerful people in Serbia. He is shown in ceremonial and lavish Oriental outfit reflecting his high position of a statesman. Sticking to tradition, he kept on wearing Oriental dress, even though the majority of the bourgeois elite in Serbia adopted European dress styles.”

Thank you for the information .
It is also a great article in Wikipedia

Lightfoot 14th September 2023 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt (Post 229809)
Thank you for the information .
It is also a great article in Wikipedia

I think that Perisic gave this kilic to the other person.

Lightfoot 23rd September 2023 11:10 PM

The kilic

Do you still own the kilic?