Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   renaissance theatre breastplate (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25804)

francantolin 10th April 2020 05:52 PM

renaissance theatre breastplate

4 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I bought this ''theater'' breasplate,
the man who sold it used it for his 10 years'old son for a carnaval knight costume...

Some parts ( the fleur de lys...) seems just a ''cheap'' ''recent'' replica
but the ties seems quite old ( 19th century ? ),
breast and back are well made and there is a stamp.

( I don't think they did that for theatre use ...)

Have you an idea about age of this kind of replicas ?

Thank's in advance

francantolin 10th April 2020 05:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
the brass fleur de lys a later add ? ( staples fixation on the picture... )

The orange-red color is not rust, there was a varnish on it...

francantolin 11th April 2020 07:57 AM

Hello not that bad no ?

Any comments ??

Another info that can tilt the balance in favour of the ''cheap'' replica is his light weight: 3,2 kg for both parts

Lansquenet59 11th April 2020 09:15 AM

Hi,

Indeed, it is a replica, no doubt. Maybe current 20 th. For the weight, there are also very light breastplates from the 16th and 17th centuries too.
So it is not always a proof of the age or not of the piece.
I think that here you have to look at the appearance of the metal, the way it is worked, I think very recent.
But difficult to say the precise age.

Lee 11th April 2020 03:30 PM

Besides the possibility of theatrical use potentially with modifications along the way (especially if from a wardrobe rental service), there was quite a market for good quality reproduction armor around a hundred years ago for decorator purposes and this may explain the aged leather straps.

fernando 11th April 2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lansquenet59
Hi,

Indeed, it is a replica, no doubt. Maybe current 20 th. For the weight, there are also very light breastplates from the 16th and 17th centuries too.
So it is not always a proof of the age or not of the piece.
I think that here you have to look at the appearance of the metal, the way it is worked, I think very recent.
But difficult to say the precise age.

I would concur with the not so early 20th century replica theory. If left unmaintained, leather ageing doesn't take so long to occur. Definitely not a field device, i am afraid :shrug:.

francantolin 11th April 2020 09:24 PM

Hello and thank you all for your comments !!

Nice if it's an old reproduction !

When I saw it, the details and the small size was a good sign for a not too recent repro work,
quite all the modern replicas are full size...

I knew it was not a battlefield brother in arms :) but found weird it was just used as a carnaval costume...

I will try to clean it and restore the leather straps

Kind regards and Happy Eastern Everybody !!

francantolin 11th April 2020 10:16 PM

For the not too recent repro argument,

I just wanted to add that the leather belt is a later replacement , perhaps 30-50 years old , more recent than the side and back one in black leather . ( upper parts are missing )

Kind regards- Happy Eastern !