Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Wheellock rifle of Saxony 1619 (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22401)

corrado26 25th February 2017 04:43 PM

Wheellock rifle of Saxony 1619

12 Attachment(s)
I want to show you a new piece of my collection, a Saxon wheellock rifle made by Hans Stockmann of Dresden in 1619. All decorations that are looking gilded are made of real and massiv gold. As you can see the lock still needs some cleaning but is fully functional.
Total length is 119cm.
corrado26

corrado26 25th February 2017 04:44 PM

6 Attachment(s)
some more pictures

fernando 25th February 2017 05:15 PM

Absolutely superb !!!!!!

Philip 1st March 2017 06:37 AM

Congratulations on an absolutely stunning example!

NeilUK 1st March 2017 01:39 PM

Fantastic - I am smitten with envy!
Neil

Fernando K 1st March 2017 02:28 PM

Hello

With all due respect, I am struck by the gold pieces applied to the lock. It seems to me that they have been melted, without chiselling, and do not congenial with the work of incrustation in the wood and the work of carving on the parts of bone or ivory, and engraving on the plates.

Affectionately. Fernando K

silberschatzimsee 1st March 2017 02:51 PM

Very nice, thanks for showing.

corrado26 1st March 2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fernando K
It seems to me that they have been melted, without chiselling, and do not congenial with the work of incrustation in the wood and the work of carving on the parts of bone or ivory, and engraving on the plates.

You are right, These golden decorations are melted and as far as I can state made from bronce . Initially I thought these parts were made of gold, so I removed the golden decoration between the screws of the spring of the cock and scratched deeply at its backside. So far as I can see this is bronce with a golden surface.
corrado26

fernando 1st March 2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corrado26
You are right, These golden decorations are melted and as far as I can state made from bronce . Initially I thought these parts were made of gold, so I removed the golden decoration between the screws of the spring of the cock and scratched deeply at its backside. So far as I can see this is bronce with a golden surface.
corrado26

Muy bien Fernando my tocayo; proprio de un experto :cool: .
Or:
Very well Fernando my namesake; worthy of an expert :cool: .

Fernando K 1st March 2017 08:26 PM

Fernando, namesake

I'm not an expert. I am only interested in human works ....

A hug. Fernando K

Pukka Bundook 2nd March 2017 02:40 AM

Corrado,

This is a staggeringly beautiful rifle! Very highest quality and very rare as well!
Congratulations on finding such a piece.
To me, the little animals depicted so well, are an enchanting detail.. They are so full of life and movement. I always enjoy seeing such engraving and scrimshaw work. Thank you for showing it!
The gilded bronze is what we would expect. Very rare on any arm for the gold to be solid. In fact hardly ever heard of.
It is a lovely piece!!!
It would be very hard to find something that could be more delightful to look at. Again, thank you for showing it!

Richard.

Terry K 4th March 2017 05:08 AM

What a beautiful piece of art! Thank you for posting

rickystl 4th March 2017 05:12 PM

I'm speechless. Congratulations on a magnificent rifle. Sure to be at the top of anyone's collection. One could spend hours just holding and looking at it.

Rick