Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ottoman Bichaq? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26436)

cel7 6th November 2020 05:14 PM

Ottoman Bichaq?

4 Attachment(s)
Hi,

am I right if I identify this as a Ottoman Bichaq?

Battara 6th November 2020 05:34 PM

I would say yes, and to possibly pin it down further it looks like it could be from around the Black Sea region of what is now Turkey.

cel7 6th November 2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
I would say yes, and to possibly pin it down further it looks like it could be from around the Black Sea region of what is now Turkey.

Thanks! What I find strange is that it is quite small (21cm) and that the edge is not sharp at all. At first I thought it might be some kind of letter opener.

Oliver Pinchot 9th November 2020 05:41 PM

This is a subgroup of a family called 'Surmene' daggers.

gp 9th November 2020 07:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Pinchot
This is a subgroup of a family called 'Surmene' daggers.

here 3 vintage Surmene daggers (15- 24 -33 cm)

and a new one ( black coloured) as they are still being made today known in Turkish as surmene bicagi

as for not sharp: from a damage perspective a non sharp knife or dagger is more lethal as it makes a hole.
A sharp knife or dagger cuts and its wound can be eassier dressed , mended , sewn..

FYI:

Surmene is in the middle of Rize and Trabzon city,northern Turkey at the Black Sea. The history of North region goes back to mythological times. So Surmene and the North region has really rich culture. Even the book of Anabasis includes Trapezos the name of Trabzon. The first Greek colony was settled here according to book. For a while this region was like a bridge between North and West.

cel7 11th November 2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gp
here 3 vintage Surmene daggers (15- 24 -33 cm)

and a new one ( black coloured) as they are still being made today known in Turkish as surmene bicagi

as for not sharp: from a damage perspective a non sharp knife or dagger is more lethal as it makes a hole.
A sharp knife or dagger cuts and its wound can be eassier dressed , mended , sewn..

FYI:

Surmene is in the middle of Rize and Trabzon city,northern Turkey at the Black Sea. The history of North region goes back to mythological times. So Surmene and the North region has really rich culture. Even the book of Anabasis includes Trapezos the name of Trabzon. The first Greek colony was settled here according to book. For a while this region was like a bridge between North and West.

Thanks! Real interesting!