Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shamhir mark - does anyone recognize? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26505)

Drabant1701 1st December 2020 07:20 PM

Shamhir mark - does anyone recognize?

3 Attachment(s)
I have this really worn shamshir with a partial makers mark (?). Does anyone recognize it, or is able to read it. I have been looking in my books and on the Internet but have found nothing.

Also adding a picture of the wootz structure and the grip, if that helps.

mariusgmioc 1st December 2020 09:29 PM

It would be advisable to put a photo of the whole sword.

From what I see, it looks like Persian Qajar wootz. :shrug:

ariel 2nd December 2020 05:18 AM

The only thing I recognize are 2 numerals at the very bottom: 25. The numeral preceding it is a mystery to me. Assuming the entire date is 1225, in Gregorian it would be 1810, Qajar dynasty, exactly what Marius predicted. 1325 would not fit: 20th century, wootz was no longer produced.
You need to ask Kwiatek, he may be able to help with the inscription.

Drabant1701 2nd December 2020 09:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
It would be advisable to put a photo of the whole sword.

From what I see, it looks like Persian Qajar wootz. :shrug:

Thank you Marius and Ariel for your thoughts. Im posting a picture of the whole sword.
I agree there is a good chance that the blade is Persian Qajar era. The mounts are probably Ottoman but I have a hard time pinning it. To me they do not really look like typical Turkish, Syrian, Greek, or North African. Im also posting a picture of the scabbard decoration maybe someone have seen it before.

kwiatek 3rd December 2020 01:38 AM

Hallo, the main inscription is Arabic, part of Qur'an 61:13, very common on arms and armour, Persian work

نصر من الله وفتح قریب

'Help from God and a near victory'

As for the number, it looks like 925 though the 9 is ambiguous and this is not likely as a date. It does not look like a 0, 1, 2, 3 which are the only other real possibilities if it were to be a date. Someone may have added it at some point with wishful thinking? I see a lot of pieces from the Qajar period that have copies of earlier inscriptions, though they tend to ascribe them to the reigns of Shah 'Abbas or Safi or Husayn and not this early

Drabant1701 3rd December 2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwiatek
Hallo, the main inscription is Arabic, part of Qur'an 61:13, very common on arms and armour, Persian work

نصر من الله وفتح قریب

'Help from God and a near victory'

As for the number, it looks like 925 though the 9 is ambiguous and this is not likely as a date. It does not look like a 0, 1, 2, 3 which are the only other real possibilities if it were to be a date. Someone may have added it at some point with wishful thinking? I see a lot of pieces from the Qajar period that have copies of earlier inscriptions, though they tend to ascribe them to the reigns of Shah 'Abbas or Safi or Husayn and not this early

Thank you Kwiatek! Your knowledge and willingness to help are invaluble.

As for the number. Its really hard to read the first one, I think parts of it is gone.Its meaning is probably lost in time.