Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DAGGER FOR IDENTIFICATION (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21682)

BANDOOK 20th July 2016 11:26 AM

DAGGER FOR IDENTIFICATION

6 Attachment(s)
HAD THIS FOR SOME TIME NOW,IT HAS A VERY SHARP BLADE
IS IT THE REAL THING OR A TOURIST RUBBISH???
REGARDS

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 20th July 2016 12:57 PM

Perhaps Syrian?

ALEX 20th July 2016 01:07 PM

African, perhaps Sudan or Tuareg(?)

Kubur 20th July 2016 02:17 PM

Hi Rajesh,

It's a good stuff. It's a Bedouin dagger, a cousin of the shibriya.
You can find them on a wide range from Palestine to Hijaz and even up to Irak...
If I was you I will clean the scabbard, it should come out like the handle.

Best,
Kubur

motan 21st July 2016 11:29 AM

Syrian Khanjar/Shibriya

I totally agree with Kubur. I have only seen 2-3 of those, but one of them, almost identical to this one, was found in a ruined village on the Golan Hights. It was interpreted as locally-made primitive knife. It has elements from both Bedouin shibriyas and Syrian khanjar, but also unique characteristics such as hand forged blade of eliptic cross-section, full tang rivetted between two thick plated of decorated brass or similar copper alloy. Nice, authentic, but primitive item from south Syria, perhaps the Golan hights, and maybe even the same village as the one I saw. Certainly no tourist item because the type is so rare and sparsely decorated.

BANDOOK 21st July 2016 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Perhaps Syrian?

Thanks Ibrahiim

BANDOOK 21st July 2016 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALEX
African, perhaps Sudan or Tuareg(?)

TNX Alex

BANDOOK 21st July 2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi Rajesh,

It's a good stuff. It's a Bedouin dagger, a cousin of the shibriya.
You can find them on a wide range from Palestine to Hijaz and even up to Irak...
If I was you I will clean the scabbard, it should come out like the handle.

Best,
Kubur

Greetings Dear KUBUR
Am glad mine is a good dagger and not what I thought,u made my day,so will keep it in my collection,will do what you have said for the scabbard,many Thanks

ALEX 21st July 2016 11:54 AM

Are the spacers between handle scales stained leather? If it is, it's quite uncommon construction for Bedouin/Arab dagger. This is why I thought it was African.

Kubur 21st July 2016 01:01 PM

Quote:

Are the spacers between handle scales stained leather? If it is, it's quite uncommon construction for Bedouin/Arab dagger. This is why I thought it was African.

You are right, it's uncommon.
I have the feeling that the grips are made of horn then covered with copper/brass. But I'm sure Rajesh will tell us!
Normaly these daggers have horn grips or cooper grips, not both...
It's a sandwich dagger.
:)

BANDOOK 24th July 2016 04:30 AM

HI KUBUR
AM SURE ITS A SANDWICH HAS THE HORN AND THEN THE BRASS ON TOP,DONT KOW MUCH BUT QUIET WEIRD FROM THE USUAL
REGARDS
RAJESH

BANDOOK 24th July 2016 04:31 AM

Quote:

HI ALEX YES ITS THICK HIDE AND THEN BRASS,REGARDS RAJESH

motan 27th July 2016 12:29 PM

Similar dagger

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I wrote that I have seen similar daggers before. Here is one. It is a local ethnic product. It comes from Jubata al Khashab in the Golan hights. The one presented in this thread is much nicer, but the similarity is striking.
The now deserted village is only a few kilometers from Majdal Shams, famous for its daggers and the scabbard appears to have be bought separately, most likely in Majdal. I kan not see in the picture if it also has leather spacers.

BANDOOK 28th July 2016 11:56 AM

THANKS MOTAN
YES VERY SIMILAR LIKE YOURS,SO I GUESS ITS FROM ISRAEL/PALESTINE AREA AS PER YOUR INFORMATION.MANY THANKS RAJESH