Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kinjal info please (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28174)

JeffS 28th August 2022 08:42 AM

Kinjal info please

1 Attachment(s)
I've been updating my database this weekend. The first piece in my collection was purchased at the Grand Bazaar Istanbul in 2001 before I started to explore ethnographic weapons. This is out of my collecting area. The silver fittings seem higher quality than the rest of the knife. The black material is not leather, it appears to be some type of resin that has been textured and stamped. I'm hoping someone can tell me what I have.

Gonzoadler 28th August 2022 10:10 AM

Hello,

this is clearly a dagestani Kindjal, the fittings and maybe the whole dagger are made in the town Kubachi.
The age is difficult to estimate for me. Maybe early 20th century, but it could be also a bit younger.

Regards
Robin

JeffS 29th August 2022 02:22 PM

Thank you Robin. Is the textured and stamped black resin material on the sheath typical?

gp 29th August 2022 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzoadler (Post 274593)
Hello,

this is clearly a dagestani Kindjal, the fittings and maybe the whole dagger are made in the town Kubachi.
The age is difficult to estimate for me. Maybe early 20th century, but it could be also a bit younger.

Regards
Robin

What makes it Dagestani? Am very eager to learn….herzlich Dank !

Richard G 29th August 2022 06:24 PM

The front looks like ass's skin.
The back looks a bit unusual tho'.
Regards
Richard

Gonzoadler 29th August 2022 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp (Post 274642)
What makes it Dagestani? Am very eager to learn….herzlich Dank !

The decoration of the fittings - the deep, floral and oriental looking engravings with niello in the surfaces between them - is very typical for that region. Also the blade with simple but elegant fullers can be often seen in combination with dagestani kindjals. At last the kind of craftmanship of the fittings of this piece is very typical for the dagestani town Kubachi. I added a picture of a typical product of this town. Look at details like the tip of the scabbard.
At the end it is like every kind of art - if you know about the characteristics it is possible to identify the origin. Kindjals are often difficult regarding that but in this case it is clear in my opinion.

Hoffentlich konnte ich dir weiterhelfen :)
Robin

Gonzoadler 29th August 2022 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS (Post 274639)
Thank you Robin. Is the textured and stamped black resin material on the sheath typical?

I wouldn't say that this is typical but nonetheless this sheath covering looks original to me. I have no problem with your dagger, it is a nice and a bit unusual piece.