Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Interesting metal hilted knife (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28340)

Pitt1999 7th November 2022 05:04 PM

Interesting metal hilted knife

6 Attachment(s)
I recently obtained this knife in a lot of other less interesting knives. The hilt is some non-ferrous metal, the guard and blade are (obviously) steel. The blade is approximately 6 inches, with the overall length being about 9 1/2 inches. There is a shallow fuller framed by engraving on each side of the blade. Something about this knife makes me think it is of Greek origin but this is just conjecture on my part. I don't have a set place to photograph my pieces yet, so these photos probably aren't that great.

Pitt1999 17th November 2022 04:00 AM

No input at all on this knife? I don't recall seeing something similar to this knife before so I thought this piece would drum up some interest. If anyone has a similar piece please post it here. I am currently away from home now so I won't be able to provide any additional photos until Sunday or Monday.

ausjulius 17th November 2022 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt1999 (Post 276341)
No input at all on this knife? I don't recall seeing something similar to this knife before so I thought this piece would drum up some interest. If anyone has a similar piece please post it here. I am currently away from home now so I won't be able to provide any additional photos until Sunday or Monday.

hi , the knife probably is from north western india, northern pakistan or afghanistan,
the style is afghan but these afghan and central asian influenced metal products penetrait into india somewhat

Battara 17th November 2022 07:49 AM

Well that might explain the type of decor technique used. Often used in the Middle East and into the north India region.

kronckew 17th November 2022 10:17 AM

The grip, guard, pommel, blade root all appear to be soldered together nicely. Cool.:cool:
Is the tang thru the pommel & peened?

Pitt1999 17th November 2022 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew (Post 276347)
The grip, guard, pommel, blade root all appear to be soldered together nicely. Cool.:cool:
Is the tang thru the pommel & peened?

The tang is not peened, if my memory serves me there is more decoration on the pommel similar to what is present on the grip.

kronckew 17th November 2022 02:21 PM

Interesting. Possibly the pommel is a cap that hides a peened tang in the underlying material of the grip. It may have a wood grip under the metal cover, and at least a partial blade tang. An expensive Xray might reveal all. ;)

Pitt1999 17th November 2022 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ausjulius (Post 276342)
hi , the knife probably is from north western india, northern pakistan or afghanistan,
the style is afghan but these afghan and central asian influenced metal products penetrait into india somewhat

I did not even consider this region of the world as a possibility. I'm not familiar with a style of knife from this region that resembles my knife at all, if my knife still had it's sheath I imagine that would make tracking down it's origin much easier.