Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shona bakatwa with silver wire wrap (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29527)

Kmaddock 4th January 2024 09:57 AM

Shona bakatwa with silver wire wrap

5 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Happy 2024 and I hope a great years collecting lies ahead for all.
I was off grid for 2 weeks but picked this up on Tuesday night at auction.

My first purchase for the year is what I beleve to be a Shona bakatwa with a type of wire wrapping, which i have not seen before.

I am picking it up from auction house tomorrow but wanted to get opinions here as the auction house pictures are as good as I will take

They call it

A 19th century sword. 60.5cm

But I think it is Shona abet with unusual silver coloured wire wrapping

Any and all opinions welcome

Regards

Ken

Tim Simmons 4th January 2024 01:58 PM

Nice blade. Not silver, either aluminium, zinc coated or tinned brass wire.

Kmaddock 4th January 2024 02:57 PM

Hi Tim
I will have in hand tomorrow and report back
Do you agree on the Shona angle of identification?
Regards
Ken

Gavin Nugent 5th January 2024 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmaddock (Post 287586)
Hi Tim
I will have in hand tomorrow and report back
Do you agree on the Shona angle of identification?
Regards
Ken

I've misplaced the email you sent me some time ago, would you might reaching out when you get a minute, I want to point you to something you may have already seen to accompany this nice old warrior.

Kmaddock 5th January 2024 08:47 AM

Hi Gavin
Ken.maddock@mu.ie
Cheers
Ken

Sajen 5th January 2024 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmaddock (Post 287575)
My first purchase for the year is what I beleve to be a Shona bakatwa with a type of wire wrapping, which i have not seen before.

Hi Ken,

Yes, I would agree with you, it's a Shona bakatwa in sword length, somewhat rare. I agree with Tim that it won't be silver, nickel maybe?

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 5th January 2024 03:24 PM

Here is some information: https://web.prm.ox.ac.uk/weapons/ind...-10/index.html

Kmaddock 6th January 2024 06:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi

Well I got it yesterday and I think it has been painted with brass showing through.

Happy with it all the same as the wire work is exemplary and I can get access to most solvents to remove the paint if I want.

Before I do so is there any chance the paint might be contempary as it is very well done and looks great.

I do not really collect in this field so I am no puritan on returning to what it should look like so I may just leave as is for a while

Regards and thanks all for the information

Ken

Gavin Nugent 8th January 2024 01:55 AM

Check SPAM if mail didn't arrive Ken, all the best and good luck with if it is interesting enough!

Kmaddock 8th January 2024 08:40 AM

Thanks Gavin
I sent you a mail back with some pictures and opinion sought, regards
Ken

AndreasM 26th January 2024 07:35 PM

Glue

Hi Ken, To me it looks like glue. I recently had such an experience with an object that had wirework and the previous owner was worried about it becoming loose. Hence he poured glue all over it. Very difficult to remove.
Kind regards,
Andreas

gp 28th January 2024 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreasM (Post 288181)
Hi Ken, To me it looks like glue. I recently had such an experience with an object that had wirework and the previous owner was worried about it becoming loose. Hence he poured glue all over it. Very difficult to remove.
Kind regards,
Andreas

try rubbing it gently off with a piece of cloth, cotton preferable, dipped in acetone. Repeat it as long as you need. It will take the glue of without damaging the metal. Be careful though with organic material as the acetone might weaken its structure...will not harm the wood