Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Yes...another Tulwar but with strange marking? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4840)

katana 1st July 2007 01:50 PM

Yes...another Tulwar but with strange marking?

4 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,
can anyone tell me what this marking on the blade of this Tulwar means or any other comments would be appreciated..

All steel hilt and blade, scabbard missing.
Blade is 31 inches long, overall length 35 inches

olikara 1st July 2007 02:13 PM

Katana,

The script is in Devnagri.
Has to be a Hindu Tulwar, probably Rajput.

katana 1st July 2007 04:25 PM

Thankyou Olikara :)
have you any idea what the translation could be ?

Jens Nordlunde 1st July 2007 05:02 PM

Katana, maybe it would be easier to see the different letters if you could make a drawing of them.

katana 1st July 2007 07:16 PM

Hi Jens,
thank you, I am waiting for the sword to be delivered.....I'll draw the letters when the Tulwar arrives.

Regards David

katana 4th July 2007 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Jens,
I hope this makes it clearer...

Regards David

Emanuel 4th July 2007 11:52 PM

Hi David, check out this site called Omniglot for a transliteration into our alphabet.
Regards,
Emanuel

Jim McDougall 5th July 2007 05:38 AM

Jens,
Doesn't this dotted script suggest a weapon associated with the armoury at Bikaner?

Best,
Jim

olikara 5th July 2007 10:06 AM

Katana,

The characters from the sword translate into:

po=ra=n.2880

Katana, you wrote the 'po' as 'pa' in your note though. Maybe you can see the characters better.

Members who know more about armoury marks can help here.

katana 5th July 2007 12:29 PM

Thanks Emanuel for the link ;)

Hi Jim, nice to hear from you :)

Thank you very much Olikara for the translation, :) I think you are right, I think the marking is closer to 'po' than 'pa' ( after looking at other websites with the Devanagari script.)

Hopefully, someone will know whether this is an armoury mark, manufacturer mark or.......... :shrug:

Jens Nordlunde 5th July 2007 02:35 PM

Katana,

First you should know that the Indian numerals can look quite differently, according to if it is Sanskrit, Bengali, Kutch, Gujarati or maybe Devavnagri. Secondly you must keep in mind, that the numerals written were sometimes a mixture of more than one dialect, and last remember, that my knowledge on this subject is very limited. I don’t think the first signs are letters, but I would prefer not to start guessing. The number could be 2880, in which case it is likely to be a number, but it could also be 1880 if you use numerals from another dialect. This could be a number, but with some luck, it could also be a year. If it is a year it is likely to be SV 1880 = 1823/1824 AD. This is of course pure guessing, and we have far too many if’s and good luck to have come any closer to the answer.

Jim, I don’t know if it is from Bikaner. Maybe it is, but it does not have the typical Bikaner marking.

beoram 7th July 2007 11:18 AM

The first signs must almost certainly be 'letters' rather than numerals, the shapes are too distinctive (esp. with the vowel-matras). The first 'letter' could be perhaps either 'po' or 'pii'.

The letters may be an abbreviation for something, or themselves part of a catalogueing scheme, rather than spelling out a word.