Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   British India, US English bowie??? can you identify (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29086)

phil.reid 17th August 2023 12:12 PM

British India, US English bowie??? can you identify

5 Attachment(s)
More flea market purchases, thinking its a british india victorian bowie but dont know, blade steels very nice, flat one side while others angke cut to give a very keen edge, back edge is thick and cut in shallow way style, hexagonal wood handle with brass pommel, simple leather sheath
Someone will hopefully pick design.

mariusgmioc 17th August 2023 02:47 PM

It doesn't look neither English, nor American to me. Different style.
Maybe Indian. :confused:

carlos 17th August 2023 09:04 PM

My first impression was Philippine...

milandro 17th August 2023 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlos (Post 283864)

indeed , that hilt , I think, says a lot. I think this knife fits in the " negrito" tradition

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22318

David R 17th August 2023 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlos (Post 283864)

Same here.

RobT 18th August 2023 12:07 AM

Batangas

Hi All,

The first thing that came up when I was scrolling down was the hilt and I immediately said "Philippines". I have read that this hilt style (ferrule smaller than the hilt coupled with a bulge in the hilt by the ferrule) is favored in Batangas.

Sincerely,
RobT

Sajen 18th August 2023 01:11 PM

Agree, it's a Philippine dagger, most probably from Batangas! Nice piece! :) Would guess WWII area.

Sajen 18th August 2023 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil.reid (Post 283852)
, hexagonal wood handle with brass pommel, simple leather sheath

Handle looks like horn to my eyes! ;) Scabbard is another sign for a Phillipine origin.

RobT 18th August 2023 09:58 PM

Could be Before WWII

Hi All,

The knife could be from WWII but, given the piercing and carving at the base of the blade, the carving on the clip point, the ricasso, and the single bevel, I think that it could be just post the Spanish/American war. When taken together, the aforementioned features appear to be geared more to a native Philippine aesthetic than for US servicemen tastes. Not that there is anything wrong with them (I have a good number), but this knife just doesn't look like the typical Ilocano WWII bing back souvenir bowie. I forgot to say when I first responded to this post but the blade, hilt, and sheath are all really nice. Well done Phil.reid. Where exactly did you say your flea market is located?

Sincerely,
RobT

wildwolberine 19th August 2023 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobT (Post 283882)
I forgot to say when I first responded to this post but the blade, hilt, and sheath are all really nice. Well done Phil.reid. Where exactly did you say your flea market is located?

Agreed, beautiful knife!

phil.reid 19th August 2023 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobT (Post 283882)
Hi All,

The knife could be from WWII but, given the piercing and carving at the base of the blade, the carving on the clip point, the ricasso, and the single bevel, I think that it could be just post the Spanish/American war. When taken together, the aforementioned features appear to be geared more to a native Philippine aesthetic than for US servicemen tastes. Not that there is anything wrong with them (I have a good number), but this knife just doesn't look like the typical Ilocano WWII bing back souvenir bowie. I forgot to say when I first responded to this post but the blade, hilt, and sheath are all really nice. Well done Phil.reid. Where exactly did you say your flea market is located?

Sincerely,
RobT

Blades beautiful quality and remined me of some of the British india bowies ive owned, the back scalloped edge reminded me of some early US blades. Im keeping stum about my flea market but Australia has an amazing array of collections.

phil.reid 19th August 2023 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwolberine (Post 283885)
Agreed, beautiful knife!

Lovel ndeed, photos dont do justice to how nice the knife is.

Sajen 19th August 2023 12:08 PM

Just to clarify, it's a beautiful blade. WWII period doesn't mean that it's one of the typical bring backs from this time, by far a different quality.

Ian 20th August 2023 12:24 AM

Hi Phil,

Another great find. I agree that this is from the Philippines, and with the reasoning that this knife may well be from the late 19th or early 20th C based on its style and quality. I do see a strong Spanish influence with its pierced ricasso. Whether it is from the Batangas/Lake Taal area or a little further north is open to debate, but that's a fine point of detail.