Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A mandau with faults for sharing and comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27804)

Sajen 13th April 2022 05:09 PM

A mandau with faults for sharing and comment

12 Attachment(s)
I came across this mandau with some faults, the tip of the blade is broken and the scabbard back piece is incomplete.
But the front piece of the scabbard is unbroken and shows in up a very nice and deep carving and the blade is very hefty.
I want to share it here specially for the very nice carving on the scabbard's front piece and maybe someone will be able to tell me from which Dayak group this piece is coming. All comments are very welcome.;)
The sword is 61 cm long, blade is still 47,5 cm long and 9,3 mm thick behind the handle.

David R 13th April 2022 09:31 PM

Nice one, the stuff that matters is there!

asomotif 13th April 2022 09:35 PM

Hello Detlef,

That is an unusual carving indeed.
I have no idea.
The bottom part of the scabbard with the upward angle looks like what we see in the kutai region. Often this is combined with a rottan strip on the scabbard.

Nice piece :)

CharlesS 14th April 2022 11:42 AM

Very nice carving, and interesting hilt. I was wondering as well if a bamboo edge protector was missing.

Drabant1701 14th April 2022 12:56 PM

Carving is superb. Very nice piece, would collect.

Sajen 14th April 2022 06:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thank you all for your comments! :)

Willem, thank you for the hint in direction Kutai.

And yes Charles, one side seems to have once a reinforcing of some sort.

The scabbard is in bad condition, only the front from ebony (?), a very hard wood is nearly undamaged. Only the now too wide upper rotan binding holds the parts together. But you can see where the from Willem mentioned further fine rotan bindings once where situated. The remaining binding at the handle is very brittle.
The blade is well used, several edge nicks are visible, the overall patination shows great use and age.

Attached are some improved pictures.

Sajen 14th April 2022 06:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Has someone seen these "arm" carvings before somewhere?

Sajen 14th April 2022 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And this has been the only auction picture. :D;)

asomotif 14th April 2022 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen (Post 271161)
And this has been the only auction picture. :D;)

LOL :D:D:D

asomotif 14th April 2022 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen (Post 271160)

No, I have never seen anything like it.
It makes me think of celtic decorations. An interesting cross cultural link :confused:;)

If you compare the blade with the carved inside of the scabbard, is it a perfect fit ? Sometimes the exact outlines of the blade are followed on the inside of the scabbard.

Best regards,
Willem

Sajen 14th April 2022 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif (Post 271164)
No, I have never seen anything like it.
It makes me think of celtic decorations. An interesting cross cultural link :confused:;)

I am also not, this was the main reason why I posted it. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif (Post 271164)
If you compare the blade with the carved inside of the scabbard, is it a perfect fit ? Sometimes the exact outlines of the blade are followed on the inside of the scabbard.

How stupid I am sometimes!:rolleyes: I don't compared it until now and it's not a match, so I think that the scabbard don't belong to the blade.

Best regards,
Detlef

CharlesS 14th April 2022 09:27 PM

Detlef, I bet that bamboo reinforcement at the edge can be restored. I am sure Arjan would know.

Sajen 15th April 2022 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS (Post 271166)
Detlef, I bet that bamboo reinforcement at the edge can be restored. I am sure Arjan would know.

Hello Charles,

First is the backside of the scabbard in very bad shape and since blade and scabbard don't belong together I am unsure what I will do with the parts!?:shrug:
Make a nice display for the front panel? Would mean to destroy the rotan binding. :shrug::confused:
To restore the scabbard is a challenge in my eyes, and no fitting blade? I am more as unsure. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Detlef

Albert 15th April 2022 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen (Post 271160)

On the scabbard of a penopah andai a human figure is depicted with a similar arm and hand with four fingers.

Sajen 15th April 2022 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert (Post 271185)
On the scabbard of a penopah andai a human figure is depicted with a similar arm and hand with four fingers.

Hello Albert,

What you call penopah andai, is it a sword like in the picture? I ask since our member Amuk, from whom I borrowed the picture, calls it in this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=borneo as isaw.
When you look close you will see that the thumb rests in the palm by the carving from the piece in question.

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 15th April 2022 11:54 PM

What would you do with the sheath? Any suggestions?

Albert 16th April 2022 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen (Post 271186)
Hello Albert,

What you call penopah andai, is it a sword like in the picture? I ask since our member Amuk, from whom I borrowed the picture, calls it in this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=borneo as isaw.
When you look close you will see that the thumb rests in the palm by the carving from the piece in question.

Regards,
Detlef

A photo of the complete sword.
Featured in: 'Traditionele Wapens van Borneo. De uitrusting van de koppensnellers. Deel III, Zwaarden en messen.'
['Traditional weapons of Borneo. The attire of the head-hunters. Volume III, Swords and knives.']

asomotif 18th April 2022 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen (Post 271187)
What would you do with the sheath? Any suggestions?

I would probably store it in my attic. There is till some space. you can DM me for the address :D;)

But seriously, the patina is great. I would probably remove the rattan and put the front of scabbard on display without the blade.

asomotif 18th April 2022 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I once bought a relatively small scabbard with heavily damaged lower section and no blade. It ended up like this.

Sajen 18th April 2022 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif (Post 271231)
But seriously, the patina is great. I would probably remove the rattan and put the front of scabbard on display without the blade.

Thank you Willem, something similar was in my mind also. Nice display!

Regards,
Detlef