Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Katipunan sword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8311)

carlos 31st January 2009 08:43 AM

Katipunan sword

8 Attachment(s)
This is my last adquisition and I´m very happy with that. Is a katipunan sword, the handle are two carved snakes , one eat the other snake. The guard seems silver and in the blade is wrote Republica de filipinas , a symbol of the katipunan and San Miguel de Mayumo. Total lenght 29,5 inc.
The end of the blade is more damaged.
Thanks
Carlos

scratch 31st January 2009 09:18 AM

:cool: Very.
Thank you for sharing.

Dan

Maurice 31st January 2009 09:59 AM

Hi Carlos,

How old do you think it is, and was it for real use ? ( I myself am very suspiscious when such text is carved in the blade).

I am not familiar with these sort of weaponry, but thanks for sharing.

Oh...Came the pelt lying beneath with it? Than it probably was a philipino bullock or cow!:D

Regards,
Maurice

carlos 31st January 2009 10:14 AM

Real sword

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice
Hi Carlos,

How old do you think it is, and was it for real use ? ( I myself am very suspiscious when such text is carved in the blade).

I am not familiar with these sort of weaponry, but thanks for sharing.

Oh...Came the pelt lying beneath with it? Than it probably was a philipino bullock or cow!:D

Regards,
Maurice

Hi Maurice!!
I think is a real sword, the sword has a beatiful patina and marks of battle. I have looking for in internet about the words engraved and the symbol is a symbol of katipunan.
The pelt was from my pet, he bite one of my swords!! :) :) :)
Regards
carlos

Dimasalang 1st February 2009 08:44 AM

WOW! Very nice!!!

San Miguel de Mayumo is the old name for San Miguel, Bulacan Province. Biak na Bato is also located within San Miguel...Biak na Bato was the old headquarters for Aguinaldos revolutionary government(pre-1st Republic). I initially thought this sword maybe from the "revolution" because of the San Miguel de Mayumo inscribed on the blade. But looking at the symbol(sun face and triangle) and "La Republica Filipinas", it indicates it is from the "Philippines 1st Republic"...in other words from the Philippine American War era. Malolos, Bulacan was the location of the 1st Republic. My guess would be this sword belonged to a General(Jefe) or officer of the San Miguel district.

After lurking and searching through older threads, I notice most refer to any sword of this era(Philippine American War) as "Katipunan" Swords. To be politically correct, all swords/bolos/daggers designed and made after the Tejeros Convention are no longer Katipunan. In history, the Katipunan was only active during the "Revolution". The real Katipunan organization ended after the Tejeros Convention took place(March 1897)...the Katipunan group was dissolved completely, changed names, and evolved in to Aguinaldos revolutionary government...and when Aguinaldo returned after the battle of Manila and set up another government in Malolos, the organization again evolved and became the "Republica Filipinas"(Republic of the Philippines). Andres Bonifacio was the father of the Katipunan, most hardcore enthusiasts believe, when Andres Bonifacio died, the Katipunan died along with him(Aguinaldo had him killed). The Sun Face is a Katipunan symbol but when it is placed "within" the Triangle it is more associated with Aguinaldos government, being he specifically asked for this symbol on the 1st Philippine Flag in 1898...the sun face triangle didn't exist during the Katipunan era. I know most veteranos of Aguinaldos government still considered themselves "Katipunans", this is because they took the blood oath for an old organization they still believed in, and they fought in both the revolution and Phil-Am War... so they can be defined as both, the Katipunan first and the first soldiers of the 1st republic. Many soldiers/generals/officers also did not take part in the Revolution and did not take the blood oath...they are not Katipunan members and do not refer to themselves as such. Many historians are quick to correct people on these two differences. Me personally, I dont care which is used for swords, but I thought I would just throw this info out there. :D Sorry for the off topic rambling.

carlos 1st February 2009 09:01 AM

Thanks!!!

Thank you very much for the information, is a pleasure read this type of post with all this information.
Thanks again
carlos

Anandalal N. 1st February 2009 10:55 AM

Hi Carlos,

I am no expert on this type of sword but do have some expertiese on snakes. I believe what we see on the hilt is a constrictor snake about to swallow a gecko. The hilt shows very good observation on the part of the artist. It depicts the typical body postion of a constrictor snake that has coiled round a gecko or such other lizard and is about to commence swallowing which takes place head first since this way the limbs of the gecko do not interfere with the swallowing process. The presence of eyelids in the prey and the head shape indicate a gecko and not a second snake. Hope that is useful. It is certainly an interesting sword. Does the hilt design have some talismanic value? :) :)

kino 1st February 2009 03:45 PM

Carlos, nice catch. A sword of great historical value.

Dimasalang, Thanks for sharing your history knowledge. It is greatly appreciated. Mabuhay!

Dimasalang 2nd February 2009 06:08 PM

Glad I could be of some service in this area. hehe :o

VANDOO 3rd February 2009 01:49 AM

A VERY NICE AND UNUSUAL PHILIPPINE SWORD, THE CARVED HANDLE IS EXCEPTIONALLY WELL DONE. CONGRADULATIONS.
THE BLADE SHAPE AND THE BLADE BEING INSCRIBED AND DECORATED REMINDS ME OF THE CHARO SWORD BLADES AND THE ENGRAVED DAGGER BLADES FOUND IN MEXICO AND SOUTH AMERICA. SO PERHAPS THOSE TWO FEATURES ARE DUE TO SPANISH INFLUENCE, THE CROSSGAURD LOOKS LIKE ALUMINUM SO THAT PART AT LEAST WOULD HAVE PROBABLY BEEN FROM WW2 OR AFTER.

Battara 3rd February 2009 02:27 AM

A wonderful example and post full of info not often seen in the books! :D

Nonoy Tan 3rd February 2009 03:23 AM

It is a beautiful sword. I hope it finds its way back to the Philippines someday.

Dimasalang, your contribution is much appreciated!

bathala 12th March 2022 03:53 AM

5 Attachment(s)
This thread is interesting! Just found a sword with different profile but the same theme up to the script of the blade!

kai 12th March 2022 07:37 AM

Wow, another great find - congrats!

The pommel seems to have more going on - could you please post more close-ups of the hilt?

Regards,
Kai

David R 12th March 2022 11:24 AM

Very nice pieces here, thank you for sharing!

bathala 14th March 2022 02:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kai (Post 270447)
Wow, another great find - congrats!

The pommel seems to have more going on - could you please post more close-ups of the hilt?

Regards,
Kai

Hi kai!
Sorry been buisy.
One thing this is a beefy blade. The hilt is beefy aswell, I think it 2 snakes biting each other. Eyes are green inlay. Another interesting feature is that ricasso covered in silver. Reminds me of a Japanese habaki.

carlos 14th March 2022 09:37 PM

Great find!!!! I saw auction but seller didn t send to Spain , and the auction was closed before time ...
Thanks for posting
Carlos

bathala 15th March 2022 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlos (Post 270506)
Great find!!!! I saw auction but seller didn t send to Spain , and the auction was closed before time ...
Thanks for posting
Carlos

Hello Carlos! So your peice is in spain? Just wanted to know where and what event happened that these 2 sword have the same theme and inscription

chmorshuutz 15th March 2022 01:09 AM

Beautiful blades, I don't see much blades from Bulacan province anymore, blacksmithing traditions seemed to have died out in the province in present-day. I've been to San Miguel more than 10 years ago, pretty rural town.

kai 15th March 2022 06:04 AM

Quote:

The hilt is beefy aswell, I think it 2 snakes biting each other.
Thanks! The second snake does not seem to bite snake #1 - is that a (human?) leg dangling from the mouth of snake #2?

Please show this hilt from all angles including a top view!

Regards,
Kai

Ian 16th March 2022 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chmorshuutz (Post 270512)
Beautiful blades, I don't see much blades from Bulacan province anymore, blacksmithing traditions seemed to have died out in the province in present-day. I've been to San Miguel more than 10 years ago, pretty rural town.

I agree. It seems that blade making in Bulacan died out in the 1970s and 1980s. I have a nice example from the pre-WWII era that was discussed here.

carlos 17th March 2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bathala (Post 270511)
Hello Carlos! So your peice is in spain? Just wanted to know where and what event happened that these 2 sword have the same theme and inscription

Yes, my sword now is in Spain, but I bought from USA, in eBay.