Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Clearly tools, but for what purpose? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29366)

Lee 23rd November 2023 02:41 PM

Clearly tools, but for what purpose?

4 Attachment(s)
A friend recently acquired this trio of sharp, pointy things at an upstate New York auction of a large ethnographic collection. I believe that these started out as files and have been modified to their present shapes. Leatherworking tools or what?

Interested Party 1st December 2023 03:18 PM

Hi Lee. Here a few unrelated and probably unhelpful thoughts. How sharp are they? The handles remind me of soldering irons. Could they have been used for seating something in a grove?

Lee 9th December 2023 01:06 PM

My friend advises that they "come to a point but you'll never cut yourself on them." Perhaps they are the opposite of caulking chisels and used to remove old oakum from joints?

Rick 10th December 2023 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doubtful that those are caulking irons, Lee.

C4RL 11th December 2023 06:16 PM

It's often a problem with "homemade" tools, sometimes they are homemade not for economic reasons but because a tool doesn't exist.
The best I can offer is Burnishers for leather or Bookbinding seeing as they aren't sharp.

C4RL 25th February 2024 05:06 AM

Though normally not as crude as these, the shape is reminiscent of the "puntilla toros" used in bull fighting.

Lee 26th February 2024 01:55 AM

puntilla toros

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you C4RL, after doing an image search, I think that puntilla toros is a very good suggestion. I happened to be at their owner's place earlier today and took another look. The tips thin out quite a bit and I suspect could pierce hide.

C4RL 26th February 2024 02:05 AM

Yes, thought I haven't seen any as rustic as those the shape is very remanisant of what some use to torture Bulls for entertainment.

Will M 26th February 2024 11:53 AM

Most likely for harness/saddle making

Lee 26th February 2024 01:12 PM

Failsafe

I did some further reading after repeating the internet search and find descriptions (roughly translated from Spanish) that the puntilla toros is a essentially a slaughterhouse implement used in bullfighting to quickly execute the bull when insertion of the rapier fails to quickly kill the bull.

Graphic animation of use of the puntilla toros (NOT for the sensitive).

fernando 26th February 2024 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The analogy is correct in that these things are, or were, basically used for taking down cattle in slaughterhouses. Most probably such was the purpose of the posted examples, as they are a trio and not an isolated unit.
Still their resemblance with Spanish 'puntillas de descabello' can not be ignored; unless the (auction) seller wants to raise the value of his rustic example by 'enhancing' its purpose !

-

C4RL 26th February 2024 11:04 PM

Great to eventually identify the use of them. 👍

Richard G 4th March 2024 01:18 PM

I did wonder when I first saw these if they could be slaughterman's or knacker's wands or rods.

Stop now if you're squeamish.

The idea was to push through the wound caused by stunning or the poleaxe and scrabble the brain. This was thought to prevent any post stunning neuromuscular spasms.

Best wishes
Richard