Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unknown Axe for Identification......Please (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26686)

drac2k 4th February 2021 11:29 PM

Unknown Axe for Identification......Please

4 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine asked for help in the identification of this Axe. He usually collects Japanese swords and this came with a grouping that he bought many years ago.
My guess is Chinese or some other South East Asian Country; has anyone else seen anything similar?

Battara 5th February 2021 01:33 AM

Looks like the head of a makara, a mythical water beast. Could be Tibetan, though the style makes me question this somewhat.

drac2k 5th February 2021 02:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Mythica Hindu Makara in China," is the caption; I definitely think that you are spot on with the Makara identification!

kronckew 5th February 2021 10:00 AM

Interesting how the upper end of the haft was dug out to enhance the 'mouth' look. Any dimensions? Ceremonial Pole axe?

drac2k 5th February 2021 01:21 PM

Approx. 12" tall & 10" wide.I noticed that as well(unfortunately the ax is in another state). I was wondering if that might have been an extended barrel that was blown off; maybe this was a combination weapon. I have seen Chinese cannons with dragon motifs.

Kubur 5th February 2021 01:45 PM

Hi
Very important, I can't see from your pictures, which material is it, brass or iron?

drac2k 5th February 2021 03:02 PM

Great question; it is made of iron.

Ren Ren 5th February 2021 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think it looked like these Vietnamese items.

drac2k 5th February 2021 05:48 PM

Great picture, it sure looks like a match, thanks! Would you guess the age to be the 19th century; older, newer?

kronckew 5th February 2021 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good photo, Ren Ren! Looks like you nailed it. A pole axe as I suspected. Wonder what the white bit sticking out the mouths are tho. looks blunt, but I do not think it's a matchlock barrel :rolleyes:

Found this photo of a 19c Viet dragon glave and elephant halberd: The halberd's spear-point looks distinctly weird and 'ceremonial' to me.

drac2k 5th February 2021 08:08 PM

Thank you as well Kronckew for those excellent pictures. Is it possible that since my friend's piece is iron as opposed to brass, that it may for actual combat use or older?

Ren Ren 5th February 2021 09:33 PM

The photo shows the Nam Giao ceremony of sacrifices to Heaven and Earth. It was held on the esplanade of the Imperial Palace in Hue from the beginning of the 19th century until 1945 without changes. Therefore, I find it difficult to guess at what time period the subject belongs.

Ren Ren 5th February 2021 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
Good photo, Ren Ren! Looks like you nailed it. A pole axe as I suspected. Wonder what the white bit sticking out the mouths are tho. looks blunt, but I do not think it's a matchlock barrel :rolleyes:

Found this photo of a 19c Viet dragon glave and elephant halberd: The halberd's spear-point looks distinctly weird and 'ceremonial' to me.

I'm sure this is a ceremonial weapon. It was used very often in Vietnam and was not always made of metal :) There was a large amount of wood, painted with varnishes of different colors.

Also I have doubts about the barrel of a firearm. Such a weapon had no sacred power for the Vietnamese and I am not aware of its use in ceremonies.

drac2k 5th February 2021 11:45 PM

Thanks again!

kronckew 6th February 2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drac2k
Thank you as well Kronckew for those excellent pictures. Is it possible that since my friend's piece is iron as opposed to brass, that it may for actual combat use or older?

The ones I posted also may partially be samrit - cast to hold the iron/steel bits. Samrit is the South East Asian bronze alloy that can also contain precious metals, and may have a high tin content, so the color varies from golden yellow to very silvery if kept polished, and can age to a more bronzy brown-black. Not sure what they call it in Vietnam.