Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Saber of an officer of the Royal Guard of Spain 18833 (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29633)

Pertinax 13th February 2024 03:16 PM

Saber of an officer of the Royal Guard of Spain 18833

12 Attachment(s)
In my collection is a Royal Guard officer's saber (Oficial Guardia Real), mod. 1825.

The blade is stamped on one side R.F.D TOLEDO, and on the other ANO D 18833. Also, on the heel of the blade there is a stamp in the form of a knight's head (Gebruder Weyersberg), Solingen. At the end of the guard cup, in the center there is a stamp - L. BORETI.

We managed to find out:
In the cockerel: L. BORETI (skilled industrial swordsmith from the Fernandina era).

Technical characteristics: total length with sheath - 1070 mm, saber length - 1035 mm, blade length - 893 mm, blade width at the heel - 30 mm, blade thickness at the heel - 8 mm.

The engraving is puzzling - ANO D 18833. Logically, the year should be 1833, is this a mistake by the master?
What will be the opinions? I will be glad for any help, thank you in advance.

fernando 13th February 2024 06:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello Pertinax ...
No doubt the hilt was made by Boreti, a famous goldsmith and jeweler to the Spanish Royal House, who gained the title ESPADERO DE LA REAL CASA.
He made sword hilts for nobility, like a magnificent one offered to Portuguese King Dom Miguel by his sister (as hereunder).
But one thing is the hilt, another is the blade. As you notice, the presence of a German mark (Weyersberg) reminds you to could consider that this could be a Solingen trade blade, with inscriptions made with a Spanish taste. Worth to notice, besides the date wrongly written (should be 1833), the font used in one side is different from the one used in the other.

Pertinax 13th February 2024 07:05 PM

Thank you fernando.
I'm not a big expert on Spanish swords, is this a Royal Guard officer's saber? What else can you say about this saber? Thank you in advance.
Regards, Yuri.

fernando 13th February 2024 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pertinax (Post 288616)
... is this a Royal Guard officer's saber? ...

Yes, it all indicates that it is. But you already knew that. I am sorry i can't tell you anythng further. Maybe other members can help !

Pertinax 13th February 2024 10:35 PM

Thank you fernando

corrado26 14th February 2024 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The following is a copy of Juan Calvo, Armament of the troops of the royal household 1788-1931, Riding swords and sabres.

Pertinax 14th February 2024 05:08 PM

Thanks, corrado26 for the information.

For myself, I would like to find out the identity of this saber. IMHO Judging by its size and weight (1.175 kg without scabbard), it belonged to a heavy cavalry officer.
What will be the opinions?