Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Old African knives (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23010)

gp 18th September 2020 03:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Yvain 18th September 2020 07:42 PM

Hi GP,

I don't know if you've tried that yet, but in my (limited) experience, alcool with fine steel wool (0000 / wood finishing) works wonder for old grease, dried out oil, and dirt. However, be careful to not let it touch any organic parts (wood, hide, leather, etc...) !

gp 18th September 2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvain
Hi GP,

I don't know if you've tried that yet, but in my (limited) experience, alcool with fine steel wool (0000 / wood finishing) works wonder for old grease, dried out oil, and dirt. However, be careful to not let it touch any organic parts (wood, hide, leather, etc...) !

merci beaucoup, thnx a lot ! I did work on the wooden handle with fine steel wool (0000 / wood finishing) and the result is as you see very well except for the top.
As these inscriptions are not that deep, I do not want / dare too go any deeper and leave it as it is in order to save these inscriptions.

Yvain 18th September 2020 10:11 PM

I posted my reply before seeing your new pictures after cleaning. Indeed, I would not clean it further either, but if you ever happen upon another old weapon caked in old grease, alcool (pure 90° proof) will help you to remove it with ease (by dissolving it), without having to resort to more abrasive cleaning methods.

gp 18th September 2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvain
I posted my reply before seeing your new pictures after cleaning. Indeed, I would not clean it further either, but if you ever happen upon another old weapon caked in old grease, alcool (pure 90° proof) will help you to remove it with ease (by dissolving it), without having to resort to more abrasive cleaning methods.

je Vous merci ! Much obliged ! and no problem / pas de souci: I certainly can do with all these tips bein' the new kid in this group and also new to cold weapons restauration

gp 22nd September 2020 01:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Hi Ian,

like said, I am far away to be an expert by Congo blades, I find them very interesting and I've had and sold some very, very nice pieces and all my "knowledge" coming from the forum, panga na visu from Zirngibl and from the collecting in the link I posted. So far I know are the Saka and Kusu are neighbouring tribes but I am unsure.
Attached is a very similar knife like yours taken from the provided link and described as Saka.

Best regards,
Detlef

next to the map I already downloaded, please find here a second one which might assist all of you further when it comes to ethnic / tribal determination

Duccio 23rd September 2020 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A classic of African knife maps, from the book "Kipinga. Throwing-Blades of Central Africa" by Marc Leopold Felix.