Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Roman sword from Congo! (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17379)

Sajen 27th June 2013 06:27 PM

Roman sword from Congo!

7 Attachment(s)
Hello all!

Just have bought this sword, I am nearly sure that it is from Congo: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111107378156...84.m1439.l2648

I am sure that our Africa expert will be able to tell me more about this sword, exact origin, ethnic group and maybe the name of this sword. All other informations are very welcome. Thank you in advance,

Detlef

laEspadaAncha 27th June 2013 08:02 PM

While yours has a different blade profile from my own example, they seem to share enough similar aspects (e.g., the waisted cylindrical hilt) to merit comparison IMHO... :)

Link

Sajen 27th June 2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laEspadaAncha
While yours has a different blade profile from my own example, they seem to share enough similar aspects (e.g., the waisted cylindrical hilt) to merit comparison IMHO... :)

Link

Thank you Chris, very helpful! :) :) :) So it could be a Konda sword.

Regards,

Detlef

Iain 27th June 2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Thank you Chris, very helpful! :) :) :) So it could be a Konda sword.

Regards,

Detlef

Certainly seems to have elements leaning that way, but I have a very hard time telling the difference between some of the Congo tribal groups. In any case a nice addition to your growing Congo collection! :)

Sajen 27th June 2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
Certainly seems to have elements leaning that way, but I have a very hard time telling the difference between some of the Congo tribal groups. In any case a nice addition to your growing Congo collection! :)

Thank you Ian! :) You are certainly correct, there are many tribal groups and the crossover elements make it not more easy to pin down an exact origin IMHO.
Maybe Luc see this thread and know more.

Regards,

Detlef

Sajen 29th June 2013 05:21 PM

No further opinions? Luc, Tim, Freddy? Others? ;)

Sajen 20th July 2013 02:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Have received the Konda sword and have given it some maintenance.

Freddy 20th July 2013 05:02 PM

I also think it's Konda. But like Iain said : the variation in Congolese weapons is enourmous. I've seen a blade from one tribe, with a typical handle of another tribe.

This makes our hobby interesting ! :D

Sajen 20th July 2013 08:53 PM

Thank you for your opinion Freddy! :)

Regards,

Detlef

Iain 20th July 2013 09:28 PM

Have another vote for Konda after seeing the latest pics. Then again my opinion isn't worth much in this area. :D

Sajen 20th July 2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
Have another vote for Konda after seeing the latest pics. Then again my opinion isn't worth much in this area. :D

Hello Ian,
your opinion seems to be worthy! :) Have an expert vote for Konda by mail as well.

Regards,

Detlef

laEspadaAncha 20th July 2013 10:21 PM

It cleaned up beautifully, Detlef! :)

I can see in the third photo the contrast between the blackened center and the outter perimeter of the blade... does the same (degree of) contrast hold true for the rest of the blade?

Cheers,
Chris

Sajen 20th July 2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laEspadaAncha
It cleaned up beautifully, Detlef! :)

I can see in the third photo the contrast between the blackened center and the outter perimeter of the blade... does the same (degree of) contrast hold true for the rest of the blade?

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

thank you! :) Yes, have looked that the complete blade have kept this contrast. Not easy since the frontside have had some deep corrosion, see the second picture. Will try to take a photo by daylight tomorrow.

Regards,

Detlef

Sajen 20th July 2013 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here a picture taken with flash light but not from the front where you can see clearly the contrast.

laEspadaAncha 21st July 2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Here a picture taken with flash light but not from the front where you can see clearly the contrast.

Yep - it's a beautiful blade!

I was going to link to a thread I (thought I) remember that was dedicated to two-tone blades (from Central and East Africa to Indo-Persia to SE Asia), but couldn't find it... :shrug:

It always makes for an aesthetically pleasing effect IMO. :)

Cheers,
Chris

Flavio 21st July 2013 01:22 PM

Really a beautiful sword, Detlef.
Congrats!

Flavio

Sajen 21st July 2013 02:07 PM

Thank you Chris and Flavio! :)