Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Nice Bicol Minasbad With Unique Carving on the Scabbard (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27399)

CharlesS 30th October 2021 05:12 PM

A Nice Bicol Minasbad With Unique Carving on the Scabbard

4 Attachment(s)
Here is a fine and rather rare example of a minasbad sword from Bicol in the N. Philippines. It is one of the best examples I have seen and dates to the late 19th-early 20th Century. The sword still maintains its full thin textile waistbelt. The most curious thing about it is the carving of a Star of David and half sunrise on the scabbard. I am not aware of the Star of David having much of an impact on Filipino history or culture, although, I do know that one can be found over the main gate at Fort Santiago in Manila.

Does anyone know the significance of this carving?

There have been some suggestions that it looks to be a Freemason symbol.

Sword Dimensions
:
Overall length: 27.75in./70.5cm.
Blade length: 19.25in./49cm. W
Widest point of the blade: 2in./5cm.

kronckew 30th October 2021 06:36 PM

The short lived 1st Philippine Republic 1899-19001 used a symbol of a rayed sun in a triangle with a star above at the point. Their sun had 8 rays and the stars were pentagonal, but one could allow for artistic license. What's under the red cloth strap?

Sajen 31st October 2021 10:58 AM

Very nice Charles! :):cool:

Sajen 1st November 2021 06:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I think Wayne is correct, it could very well be a Katipunan symbol, compare!

David 1st November 2021 06:16 PM

Well, the sun in the triangle used by the 1st Philippine Republic was always a full sun in the triangle, wasn't it? Not a partial sun on the horizon. And it os generally surrounded by 5-pointed stars, not a six-pointed star. So i am not convinced that is the intended significance here.

xasterix 1st November 2021 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 267372)
Well, the sun in the triangle used by the 1st Philippine Republic was always a full sun in the triangle, wasn't it? Not a partial sun on the horizon. And it os generally surrounded by 5-pointed stars, not a six-pointed star. So i am not convinced that is the intended significance here.

Agreed. I don't believe it's a Katipunan symbol either. But it's a significant symbol for PH culture just the same. It could be the standard for one of the cults that proliferated late 1800s / early 1900s.

Battara 2nd November 2021 02:05 AM

I agree Xasterix. This might be one of the many Katipunan cults or independence groups at that time in the Philippines.