Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Share your miniature blades! (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25821)

ariel 1st November 2021 04:48 AM

European agents of serious swordmaking companies used to carry miniature copies of the real wares in their traveling cases. Prospective buyers could pick and choose. But dating them to the 1960s seems to exclude this possibility. The Bebut ( curved bladed kindjal) from the Osobist's collection carries a niello inscription on the scabbard "Kavkaz" written in the old Russian style: a local souvenir. I guess that the mini Nihonto examples were also souvenirs.
There is a Polish book of a Kris collector ( I vaguely remember he might have been an ambassador to Indonesia). His most important item was a very miniature Kris, gifted to him by Sukarno.
What was the purpose of the rest of Indonesian, Thai and Philippine mini daggers is a mystery to me. They would not have any practical value as self-defense weapons, so souvenirs is the first thing that comes into my mind.

Sajen 1st November 2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel (Post 267352)
There is a Polish book of a Kris collector ( I vaguely remember he might have been an ambassador to Indonesia). His most important item was a very miniature Kris, gifted to him by Sukarno.
What was the purpose of the rest of Indonesian, Thai and Philippine mini daggers is a mystery to me. They would not have any practical value as self-defense weapons, so souvenirs is the first thing that comes into my mind.

Hello Ariel,

Small keris like the one shown in post #1 this thread are jimats.
I don't think it's easy like this, some of the ones from me showed SEA items have a practical value, but by others like the gunong I would agree.
The two mini swords from Willem and me are collector items, I hesitate to call them souvenirs.

Regards,
Detlef

asomotif 1st November 2021 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen (Post 267358)
The two mini swords from Willem and me are collector items, I hesitate to call them souvenirs.

Regards,
Detlef

:D:D:D

I have no problem calling my miniature jimpul a souvernir.
It is to small to be used as anything. Not even as letter opener.

kai 2nd November 2021 08:20 AM

These certainly were not cheap(ly made) souvenirs. However, they had no place in the originating cultures and were specifically made for selling to colonial "guests" - so, high-end souvenir might well be a reasonable description...

There are also those tiny jewellery blades, usually from silver and often made as brooches.

Regards,
Kai

Sajen 3rd November 2021 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif (Post 267381)
:D:D:D

I have no problem calling my miniature jimpul a souvernir.
It is to small to be used as anything. Not even as letter opener.

I am also not, but since they are worked from silver they are somewhat expensive souvenirs and special for collectors. ;):D

ariel 3rd November 2021 01:21 PM

I checked the internet.
Price of Sterling Silver ( 92.5%) is $20.11 per ounce or $0.71 per gram.
A McDonalds burger with small fries would cost more than the entire silver-cladding of a miniature kindjal ( scabbard and handle).

asomotif 3rd November 2021 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel (Post 267430)
I checked the internet.
A McDonalds burger with small fries would cost more than the entire silver-cladding of a miniature kindjal ( scabbard and handle).

I prefer the silver miniatures, and not just because they are cheaper. :D

Sajen 7th November 2021 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel (Post 267430)
I checked the internet.

Hi Ariel,

Like Willem I prefer the silver miniatures! :D And don't forget that some work is involved to make such a miniature.

Regards,
Detlef

JeffS 25th March 2022 06:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I recently received this cute little guy, a bit over 7" in scabbard. The blade is actually sharp and has a nice profile and distal taper. Would this be a Thai style daarb? Shown next to another miniature similar to ones already posted in this thread.

Royston 26th March 2022 12:40 PM

Some minatures

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more.
No idea what the two small silver ones were made for, they look like broaches but have not got clasps on them and are too small to be effective letter openers. The Cocos Keeling is the smallest I have seen.
Roy

Ian 26th March 2022 02:13 PM

Can we have a definition of what is a "miniature?" How much does it need to be scaled down to qualify?

Ian 26th March 2022 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel (Post 267352)
... What was the purpose of the rest of Indonesian, Thai and Philippine mini daggers is a mystery to me. They would not have any practical value as self-defense weapons, so souvenirs is the first thing that comes into my mind.

Ariel, a lot of the small Thai knives are spiritual talismans called meed mor, but often referred to as "priest knives" in the older European literature. The composition of the knives and the religious blessings they receive have significance in the culture of origin.

asomotif 29th May 2022 10:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A mini pedang. 1st I have ever seen.

SwordLover79 2nd June 2022 04:13 PM

19th Century miniature weapons

2 Attachment(s)
made by Granger (Paris) in the 1820 timeframe I think

asomotif 6th June 2022 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwordLover79 (Post 272406)
made by Granger (Paris) in the 1820 timeframe I think

Can you give us some size indication ?

SwordLover79 7th June 2022 05:33 PM

the swords range from 6 to 7 inches in length. The daggers are approximately 2 inches.