Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Identifying wood (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22153)

DaveA 11th December 2016 06:48 AM

Identifying wood

Hello all,

I have been seeking information on different woods used in Ethnographic weapons. How to identify the wood is a top priority. I'm also interested in why certain woods are used, whether it is for physical properties of the wood, workability, beauty, magical thinking, or some other reason.

I stumbled upon the Wood Database recently. It has some useful information for me and you may also find it interesting.

Best Regards,

Dave A.

mariusgmioc 11th December 2016 08:06 AM

Interesting topic and very intersting and useful link. Thank you! :)

But since it is not directly connected to weapons, maybe it would be better placed in the Ethnographic Miscellania section?! :shrug:

kai 11th December 2016 11:06 AM

Since wood is commonly used for hilts and other integral parts of A&A, I'd vote for keeping this thread in the main forum since it will be much more accessible, especially for searches!

Regards,
Kai

kai 11th December 2016 11:28 AM

Hello Dave,

Quote:

I have been seeking information on different woods used in Ethnographic weapons. How to identify the wood is a top priority.
Been there, still keep struggling - prepare for an uphill battle... ;)

Not being able to take standard samples for analysis makes for a tough start. Small size of pieces and intricate carving doesn't help either!

Also keep in mind that some of the utilized wood is not commercially available (except locally if at all) and selected pieces are often burl, stunted growth, fungal infections, etc. rather than typical heartwood.

Quote:

I'm also interested in why certain woods are used, whether it is for physical properties of the wood, workability, beauty, magical thinking, or some other reason.
You definitely want to read "Spirit of Wood. The Art of Malay Woodcarving" by Farish Noor and Eddin Khoo (Periplus 2003)! It's been out of print for a while - many larger public libraries have a copy though.

I'd love to hear from similar treatises from other parts of the world!

Regards,
Kai

kronckew 11th December 2016 11:33 AM

wood is also commonly used in the construction of european arms.

Tim Simmons 11th December 2016 12:27 PM

I had wood identified by cell structure at Kew Gardens London, it cost £100 a good decade ago. The sample was identified to genus I belive rather than the exact tree. There must be a botanic research institute somewhere in the USA. I enjoyed the whole process. Good luck.

russel 11th December 2016 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I couldn't resist