Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is this an "old man's hobby"? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16421)

Atlantia 21st November 2012 05:57 PM

Is this an "old man's hobby"?

Wanted to have a little poll amongst members.
Have been discussing the 'average' age of collectors of edged weapons today with Spiral and most seem to me men in their 60s!

So wondered if you would all indulge me in a non-scientific litmus test of the age range here?

I'm 43

A.alnakkas 21st November 2012 06:02 PM

Hah I did wonder about this. My age is 26 :-)

Passionate for swords all my life though.

David 21st November 2012 06:04 PM

I think it is young and old, but of course, our collections (and hopefully understanding :) ) get better with age, like fine wine... ;) :)
I'm 55.

Robert 21st November 2012 06:09 PM

60 for me but next year I'm going to reverse the whole thing and be 59. Hopefully I'll be back in my late twenties or early thirties when it's time to take a dirt nap.:D

Robert

Norman McCormick 21st November 2012 06:17 PM

59, but I did start my first collection when I was 14 by the time I reached 18 I sold it all to concentrate on wine, women and, well, more wine and women. ;) :D
Regards,
Norman.

P.S. Best buy of my early years was a 17thC katana with an earlier tsuba in WW2 mounts, cost me £1-10/-. In todays money £1.50p, bought a lot of the aforementioned wine, women etc. when I sold it. :) Oh for the gift of hindsight. ;)

Jens Nordlunde 21st November 2012 06:19 PM

Ok, I am 71 and have collected for 45 + years.
Jens

paolo 21st November 2012 06:24 PM

I'm 61, and collect ethographic edge weapons by 12 years.
Paolo

mross 21st November 2012 06:28 PM

two years on the high side of a half century

VANDOO 21st November 2012 06:52 PM

MY MIND IS 20 BUT MY BODY IS A VERY HARD USED 66. :D I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING ETHINOGRAPHIC EDGED WEAPONS ON AND OFF FOR 50 YEARS. MY FIRST AND MOST TREASURED ITEM WAS AN OLD WW2 COLLINS MACHETE WITH SCABBARD AND BELT I GOT WHEN I WAS 8 AT A OLD ARMY SURPLUS FOR $1.50. IT HUNG DOWN TO MY ANKLES IN THOSE DAYS AND WENT WITH ME ON ALL MY EARLY RAMBLES AND ADVENTURES IN THE EAST TEXAS HILLS,WOODS AND TRINITY RIVER BOTTOM. I FORGED THRU MANY JUNGLES AND BUILT MANY FORTS WITH IT AND STILL USE IT FOR YARD WORK THESE DAYS.

THERE IS STILL HOPE FOR YOUNGER COLLECTORS AS THE INTEREST IS STILL THERE IN ARMS AND ARMOR AND SHARP POINTY THINGS. THE BOYS AND SOME GIRLS STILL LIKE CARTOONS AND VIDEO GAMES WITH HEROS WITH EDGED WEAPONS SO PERHAPS THEY WILL GROW INTO IT AND CATCH THE COLLOCTORS DISEASE. THE WINE WOMEN AND SONG DOES TAKE ONE AWAY FROM COLLECTING AS IT SHOULD BUT WE LEARN WITH AGE THAT THE SHARP POINTY THINGS ARE FAR LESS DANGEROUS THAN THE FAIR SEX. :D

Norman McCormick 21st November 2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANDOO
WE LEARN WITH AGE THAT THE SHARP POINTY THINGS ARE FAR LESS DANGEROUS THAN THE FAIR SEX. :D

Oh how true, how true. :eek: :D

Iain 21st November 2012 07:03 PM

25 - but been at it for a decade off and on.

Atlantia 21st November 2012 07:05 PM

So far, Iain and Lotfy are the hope for the future ;)

Iain 21st November 2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantia

Doing my best - my wife says I'm already grumpy enough to be in my 60s. :D

Norman McCormick 21st November 2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantia

Gene, do you know something we don't? :eek:

A. G. Maisey 21st November 2012 07:30 PM

I'm 72, started with a gift from my grandfather when I was 12.

Sajen 21st November 2012 07:47 PM

I am 53 now and started 20 years ago.

A.alnakkas 21st November 2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
25 - but been at it for a decade off and on.

We are both young and ambitious, my friend.

carlos 21st November 2012 08:22 PM

I, m 38 years old,and I have been collecting during 20 years.
best regards
carlos

Ferguson 21st November 2012 08:28 PM

I bought a khukuri 10 years ago, and that started it. I'm 59.

Steve

A Senefelder 21st November 2012 08:36 PM

I'm 44. I bought my first piece of militaria at the age of 9 at a local gunshow with money I saved all year ( WWI British Tommy helmet in winter finish ) and have been collecting on some level evey since.

Battara 21st November 2012 09:07 PM

Well I am 149 (according to the youth I teach)........

Martin Lubojacky 21st November 2012 09:19 PM

My body is 49 years old.... (began cca 20 years ago, but slowly)

mrcjgscott 21st November 2012 09:58 PM

I am 29, and have been collecting for 21 glorious years, I hope I have at least another 21 in me!

asomotif 21st November 2012 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
43, pretending to be 40- something for the next 6 years ;)

My father (79 now) had a javanese golok which he traded as a young boy for a defective wristwatch. It was always laying next to his tool box.
It was an intrigueing object. as a small boy (approx 10) I thought it to be a knights sword, but playing with it was off-limits.

At the age of 15, after watching the television series "Shogun", I wanted a replica katana, (made in spain) and with my parents consent I bought it for NLG 230, which is appox Eur 105,- nowadays. :eek:

I wish I had bouhgt a 17th cent. katana like Norman did ;) , as I still have the bloody replica katana as a token of bad taste and quality :D :)

Best regards,
Willem

Ps. remember Anjin San / Richard Chamberlain.

Norman McCormick 21st November 2012 10:36 PM

[QUOTE=asomotif] I wish I had bouhgt a 17th cent. katana like Norman did ;)

Hi Willem,
Absolute luck and sheer ignorance I can assure you. :o
Regards,
Norman.

dana_w 21st November 2012 10:50 PM

I turned 53 this year and have been collecting antiques of one type or another most of my life. Two years ago my father passed away and left me his weapons collection. Now I am in REAL trouble. Antique weapons are rapidly taking over all my other hobbies.

Jeff D 22nd November 2012 12:55 AM

350 dog years or 50. Been at it 15 years.

All the Best
Jeff

Andrew 22nd November 2012 01:21 AM

Martial artist for 35+ years, which naturally led to an immediate unatural compulsion to acquire every conceivable hand weapon available. :o

CourseEight 22nd November 2012 01:23 AM

32, and been collecting about 10 years.

Berkley 22nd November 2012 02:43 AM

I'm 66. Began collecting antique firearms when I was 14. Always tried to follow the rule of acquiring at least one reference book for every new piece in the collection. Bought a kukri at a gun show on a whim when I was 55 - knew nothing about it, thought it looked interesting, and tried to find out more about it. Discovered that, unlike the many firearms books available, there was precious little printed information about the kukri. Began searching the newly evolving Internet, haunted eBay, developed a correspondence with a gentleman named John Powell who outbid me on a piece I really wanted. Discovered this and other online forums. The collection continues to grow, and I keep meeting other collectors online, a much more gratifying way of learning than simply reading a book.
I think it has always been the case that acquiring a collection takes time, and collectors therefore tend to be older. Whether the field of weapons collecting is one that will continue to attract new collectors in a changing world is something I do wonder about.