Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Show us your pira (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26922)

xasterix 1st May 2021 12:14 PM

Show us your pira

1 Attachment(s)
The pira is my favorite Bangsamoro blade. There are a number of it scattered across the forums; they've been my inspiration in acquiring more for research and martial study in the Moro Fighting Arts. Hoping that other members will post their pira specimens as well!

From top to bottom:

1800s (estimated)
Turn of century 1900 (estimated)
1970s (provenanced)
1970s (provenanced)
2021 (provenanced)

Interested Party 1st May 2021 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xasterix (Post 262147)
The pira is my favorite Bangsamoro blade. There are a number of it scattered across the forums; they've been my inspiration in acquiring more for research and martial study in the Moro Fighting Arts. Hoping that other members will post their pira specimens as well!

Wow, nice!

Were both of these forms used at the same time, or did the form change between the early 20th century and the late 20th century? It almost looks like a change from a slicing tool to a chopping tool. If I remember correctly, you test many of your blades. What is their performance like? Can you feel a big difference between the shapes?

xasterix 2nd May 2021 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interested Party (Post 262155)
Wow, nice!

Were both of these forms used at the same time, or did the form change between the early 20th century and the late 20th century? It almost looks like a change from a slicing tool to a chopping tool. If I remember correctly, you test many of your blades. What is their performance like? Can you feel a big difference between the shapes?

With regard to forms, there's still debate as to whether pre1900 and post1900 forms overlapped. Based on what I've researched and wielded so far- there seems to be major shift during the pre- and post - 1900 pira (with turn-of-century roughly the time when the "old" forms disappeared). Post1900s there was definitely an overlap of pira- several types existed at one time (but not the pre1900).

With regard to feel, there's variance in individual samples, just a commonality in terms of striking dynamics (the pre1900 is very picky with how it should be wielded; the post1900 is much more liberal). Your comment about the change from a slicing to a chopping tool is interesting- this may have to do more with the forms (there are about 4-5 variants of post1900s pira; I only have 3 in there). But generally I feel more comfortable trying to cleave with the post1900s than with the pre1900s, so your assertion has validity.

There are also different ways of striking with pira- so that's another consideration. Overall the post1900s- especially the 70s- are my favorite, and can be adjusted on the fly.

Sajen 2nd May 2021 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here again one picture from my example, for more pictures look to this thread:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26593

xasterix 2nd May 2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen (Post 262179)
Here again one picture from my example, for more pictures look to this thread:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26593

Thanks Detlef! Hoping others chime in.

SanibelSwassa 9th May 2021 09:20 PM

My Pira

5 Attachment(s)
Here are the two I have managed to find. Very hard to locate good examples of these and there are “modern” Pira that have been made to look antique. So look at form and materials very closely before making any purchases.

First one is a new addition and I will post better pics of it tomorrow.

xasterix 10th May 2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanibelSwassa (Post 262433)
Here are the two I have managed to find. Very hard to locate good examples of these and there are “modern” Pira that have been made to look antique. So look at form and materials very closely before making any purchases.

First one is a new addition and I will post better pics of it tomorrow.

Thanks for these excellent samples! I'm curious about the first one, especially since hilt seems polygonal from the current angle. I like it!

kai 11th May 2021 01:08 AM

Yes, that's an interesting one, also with the rather short extension. Seems you also got another nice garab - let me know whenever you decide to let either go, please. ;)

The other pira exhibits a quite similar curved blade as the rough one posted above by Xas!

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Regards,
Kai

jokrho 18th May 2021 02:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xasterix (Post 262147)

From top to bottom:

1800s (estimated)
Turn of century 1900 (estimated)
1970s (provenanced)
1970s (provenanced)
2021 (provenanced)

Here's a late 1800s and a modern one from Ungkaya

xasterix 6th August 2021 03:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm fortunate to have gotten a pira from Ian's collection. I restored its edge (it's experienced, battle-wise) and secured the hilt. It's suprisingly nimble and light. I would definitely use this in a duel.

kronckew 6th August 2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xasterix (Post 264975)
I'm fortunate to have gotten a pira from Ian's collection. ...

Love that one 😍😍😍