Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Old Knobkerrie (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12496)

Lew 8th September 2010 07:02 PM

Old Knobkerrie

3 Attachment(s)
Picked this up yesterday it needs some TLC but should turn out nice. Btw it's 37" long.

Gavin Nugent 9th September 2010 03:45 AM

Interesting size

A nice and interesting example Lew, the size is what I find interesting, something that would sit well in either my clubs or cane collection...

Of the woven wire bands, I have seen many with this binding, some with little such as this example, others with fully covered shafts and others with a variety of metals used too.
Is anything to be learnt from the variety of bindings and materials used?

Gav

Lew 9th September 2010 04:03 AM

Gav

Some of the wire work is attributed to the Shona and some other Zulu tribes. I have one that I was told was from the Natal area.

Gavin Nugent 9th September 2010 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew
Gav

Some of the wire work is attributed to the Shona and some other Zulu tribes. I have one that I was told was from the Natal area.

Where do you place this example?

Gav

Lew 9th September 2010 04:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have to have it in hand first But I am leaning toward Natal.

Jambu 9th September 2010 03:58 PM

Nice Piece, I was the next highest bidder!! :D

Lew 11th September 2010 09:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The Knobkerrie arrived today. I cleaned it up a bit and it turned out nice see below. It's more a walking stick type knobkerrie than a war type as in the picture above. It is made of the bicolored wood but the lighter part is darkened with patina. All in all a very elegant stick. :)

CharlesS 13th September 2010 04:18 PM

Nice one Lew...I just love these too. Seems no two are ever just alike.

Great photos as well.

Thanks!

DhaDha 14th September 2010 10:05 PM

Nice one!
Having recently acquired a taste for these, I'd love to know what you used to clean the wire binding. Thanks.

Lew 15th September 2010 01:43 AM

I used a wire brush to take off the heavy rust on the wire wrap. Followed it up with a good cleaning with a magic cloth and some 0000 steel wool. After that I rubbed on a tiny bit of mineral oil making sure to wipe off any excess. As far as the wood is concerned the 0000 steel wool was used to remove some old paint spots you must do this very carefully with the slightest pressure as to remove the paint and not ruin the patina. Last I applied a bit of brown or neutral kiwi paste shoe polish and buffed it up with a horse hair shoe brush.

DhaDha 15th September 2010 06:49 AM

Thank you!