Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Please help to identify, philippines? Panabas? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26913)

carlos 27th April 2021 08:46 PM

Please help to identify, philippines? Panabas?

3 Attachment(s)
I just buy this axe. The pictures are from seller, my first impression is philippino origen, maybe a little panabas?
Thanks in advance
Carlos

kai 28th April 2021 12:32 PM

Nice one, Carlos!

Definitely not a Panabas but a smaller tool for chopping; that's an interesting forward angle between edge and hilt.

Dimensions including blade thickness would be great to know.

Close-ups of the engraving should help in placing this piece!

Regards,
Kai

carlos 29th April 2021 04:55 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Thank you very much Kai
I just received the piece...

Bob A 29th April 2021 06:50 PM

That's a remarkable axe. The last photo is eye-opening; I'd never have expected that it would be such a thick section. Attractive wood as well. The effort put into forging and engraving the blade adds to the overall impression of quality.

Thanks for sharing. When you tire of this piece, send me a PM please.

Ian 29th April 2021 11:10 PM

Carlos,

What an attractive and interesting chopper! I'm in agreement with Kai that this is not a panabas, and I might go further and say that it is probably not from the Philippines. The decorative style along the spine of the blade reminds me more of mainland SE Asia or Malaysia, as does the hilt. The striped wood could perhaps be banati, although it is paler and more orange than usual banati, suggesting something else. The pronounced hook on the end of the blade is unusual and should help identify the piece, but I am struggling to recall a similar example from SE Asia.

The forging and filework on the blade are excellent. The tapering width of the blade is flawless. Just a quality piece of work. Obviously made by someone who really knew what he was doing.

Congratulations on finding such an unusual and well made piece. I look forward to hearing what others think of its origins.

Ian.

Sajen 2nd May 2021 10:53 AM

Never seen something similar before Carlos, thank you for sharing.

Regards,
Detlef

David 4th May 2021 06:55 PM

Nice chopper! I am chiming in here with no real knowledge if this piece, but my gut puts me in Ian's camp, that this is probably not from the Philippines, but more likely somewhere in Indonesia.
And i will go one further to say that i do not think this is a simple farming tool, but perhaps something intended for ritual purposes. That is not because it is finely crafted or even decorated and we know tools sometimes are. But i don't really see any agricultural use for the file work (greneng for lack of the more proper term). This my have been a temple chopper for some ritual preparations. But until w find more info or other examples that is purely speculation. :shrug:

kai 5th May 2021 12:09 AM

Thanks, Carlos!

I agree that this piece does not seem to originate from the Philippines.

The hilt certainly does not look like bunti/banati to me.

At the moment, I can't offer any convincing origin; I'd guess it might be less than 100 years old.

I'd love to handle this piece to, literally, get a better feel for it...

Regards,
Kai