Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Steel Spike, Initialed SHF (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29535)

mickety 6th January 2024 08:31 PM

Steel Spike, Initialed SHF

4 Attachment(s)
I've had this sitting on my desk for years and have no idea what it is?

Bearing inscribed gilt decorated initials "SHF" which I believe may be for a Samuel Hoppe of Solingen(?) or possibly a Simon Helvig Fils, a French armourer from the Alsace.

19cm long, easily gripped with thumb and forefinger, about 4cm from the point there is a small piece of brass, possibly gilt, inset into the steel.

Anybody any ideas what this?

Many thanks.

cel7 7th January 2024 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickety (Post 287654)
I've had this sitting on my desk for years and have no idea what it is?

Bearing inscribed gilt decorated initials "SHF" which I believe may be for a Samuel Hoppe of Solingen(?) or possibly a Simon Helvig Fils, a French armourer from the Alsace.

19cm long, easily gripped with thumb and forefinger, about 4cm from the point there is a small piece of brass, possibly gilt, inset into the steel.

Anybody any ideas what this?

Many thanks.

It looks to me like a tool made from the blade of a sword. No idea what its for.

fernando 7th January 2024 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cel7 (Post 287675)
It looks to me like a tool made from the blade of a sword. No idea what its for.

Most certainly not a weapon, indeed. So that we move it to the Miscellania forum. Let us see what other members think of it.

fernando 7th January 2024 11:20 AM

Perhaps a broken blade having undergone a modification ... to a whatever purpose spoon ? :o.

cel7 7th January 2024 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando (Post 287680)
Perhaps a broken blade having undergone a modification ... to a whatever purpose spoon ? :o.

I think you are right Fernando and that it is indeed a spoon. Maybe for sugar or something like that.

RSWORD 7th January 2024 07:36 PM

It is the tang of the sword blade and just a bit of the forte showing the makers mark. Not sure it had an alternate purpose than just being a broken blade where the blade remnant was rounded off. Perhaps used as a fancy letter opener versus being discarded.

Kmaddock 8th January 2024 09:48 AM

Hi All
I was thinking it could be a Tea Caddy spoon or a meat skewer?
Regards,
Ken

fernando 8th January 2024 10:25 AM

On a second thought, it lacks the concavity for a spoon; or the length for a letter opener. Notwithstanding its form was most probably meant to have a purpose !

mickety 8th January 2024 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cel7 (Post 287683)
I think you are right Fernando and that it is indeed a spoon. Maybe for sugar or something like that.

You mean for breaking up large sugar blocks or perhaps ice? Never thought of that?

The small piece of inset brass seems to have served a purpuse and the fact that the thumb grip so neatly bears the decoration and initials makes me think it's been designed for a specific purpose. I thought it may have been a pin/holder/support for a larger piece, perhaps a large firearm?

Really appreciate all your responses. Thanks.